How to stop my chickens early alarm call!

• 21 Replies

viks chicks

« on: June 02, 2008, 19:10 »
Is there anything I can do about noisy chickens in the morning? Mine start shouting about 4am, when it gets light. They are quiet from about 7am onwards though. I usually let them out of their ark about 9am. There ark is totally fox proof, so they come out of their nesting box into the tiny run and make a racket! Should I make a door for their nestingbox/roosting area so they can't  see it's light- or is it just a built in mechanism to Yell at 4:00am. Am worried about the neighbours.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 19:46 »
I don't let my chooks out of their eglu into the run until a least 7:30 and 8:00 at weekends.  I can't be doin' with noisy chooks waking me  :wink:

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 21:05 »
D'you know I have the same problem, I've had them a couple of weeks and the oldest one has started crowing at 5am in the morning, she only started doing it a couple of days ago but like you am worried about neighbours, we live in a terraced house, I find myself shushing them out of the bathroom window but this just makes her louder, I too would like some advise :?
Katt

peggyprice

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 21:08 »
Quote from: "kattcottrell"
D'you know I have the same problem, I've had them a couple of weeks and the oldest one has started crowing at 5am in the morning, she only started doing it a couple of days ago but like you am worried about neighbours, we live in a terraced house, I find myself shushing them out of the bathroom window but this just makes her louder, I too would like some advise :?

Move your bedroom to the front of the house :?:   :lol:   :?:

I know ours are in a dark house with the only light coming in through the ventilation gaps; they're always grumbling away when we go to let them out, usually around 6.30/7am ish, but once they're out and about they're more interested in eating than anything else .. :D
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 21:43 »
My ducks do the same if I don't lock them in their ark overnight. If I leave them with access to their run we are all up at 5am!!
Shut them in :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 21:45 »
right that does it then, I'm locking them down for the night :)

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 21:50 »
can you keep the henhouse dark??? If they are reacting to light might be worth trying!
I never really noticed in the winter- but Bigfoot is crowing early at the moment and am sure is the early mornings. Will be turning his house around and putting dark evergreens by the window to see if that helps....

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 21:56 »
I've been leaving their pop hole open which is on the bottom of the house leading down into a very secure small run underneath, the only other light is ventilation gap, I'm gonna have to shut their pop hole up, I was just being lazy so I didn't have to let them out at the crack of dawn :lol:

pushrod

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 22:04 »
Quote from: "kattcottrell"

She might be a he   :lol:  

The best cure for an unnecessary noisy cockerel is a slow cooker  :wink:

Alternatively try keeping them in total darkness til you let them out and you might fool them that it is still middle of the night, although if they already have the habit it is harder to break it.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 22:11 »
We were thinking of hanging a 'curtain' of sacking across the pophole and leavign it open but I'd not sleep in case a fox got in the run.
Rather get up (usually OH!) at 6 and know they'll still be there.  :D

Rob

Porffor

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 22:14 »
My girls aren't waking anyone.. that i know anyway. :) I've been up around 5am with the kids a few times the last week and haven't heard a thing from the chooks. :) I shut them into their house though and open their door around 7.30-8.00 - no earlier than 7.30 as the dogs are on the prowl for a while before that. They never make a sound till they hear my footsteps coming to their run. :)

Kat, does sound like your she may be a he...  :shock:

Vember

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 22:23 »
We get Bob Dylan crowing from as early as 2 am, but we're lucky with no neighbours to worry about :)

I've got used to it now so it doesn't disturb me  :lol:

My girls are very good though, no noise till they hear me then they grumble till i let them out :D

Porffor

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 22:25 »
2am!!!  :shock:   :shock:  :shock:
Bob would have met the pot a long time ago!!  :twisted:

Vember

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 22:27 »
Nooooo  like I said we've got used to it  

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 22:27 »
Well if it was a he and not a she then he'd be worth loads of money as he/she has laid nearly an egg a day since we got her :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
when will my chickens stop the lay?

Started by Green man on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 17:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
How to stop chickens flying?

Started by Annie Higginbottom on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:27
by desandchez
xx
what to do with chickens when they stop laying

Started by mumbley joe on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 22:09
by New shoot
xx
Do Chickens eat less when they stop laying?

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 06:35
by New shoot

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 28 queries.