Apple Ants!

• 4 Replies

Animagdon

Apple Ants!
« on: June 02, 2008, 18:51 »
I planted an apple tree in my back garden a few months ago and thought I'd killed it as it didn't seem to want to come out of it's dormant state....anyway it woke up and I had loads of gorgeous blossoms but I noticed yesterday that the blossoms were falling and thought 'great - apples!' but I've just gone to take a closer look and the whole thing is crawling with ants  :rambo:

I have no idea what I'm doing as this is my first season of ever trying to grow anything and I'm trying to keep everything on the plot and garden as organic as possible.....does anyone know of a way I might get the little blighters off the apple tree or is this a natural thing that I should leave alone (told you I didn't know what I was doing!)?

:cherry:

andyandyjohnson

Re: Apple Ants!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 19:06 »
Quote from: "Animagdon"
I planted an apple tree in my back garden a few months ago and thought I'd killed it as it didn't seem to want to come out of it's dormant state....anyway it woke up and I had loads of gorgeous blossoms but I noticed yesterday that the blossoms were falling and thought 'great - apples!' but I've just gone to take a closer look and the whole thing is crawling with ants  :rambo:

I have no idea what I'm doing as this is my first season of ever trying to grow anything and I'm trying to keep everything on the plot and garden as organic as possible.....does anyone know of a way I might get the little blighters off the apple tree or is this a natural thing that I should leave alone (told you I didn't know what I was doing!)?

:cherry:

They are farming aphids. the aphids suck the leaves and release the sap. The ants eat the sweet, sticky liquid. You have a few choices:

1. Wash the aphids off all the leaves using a hosepipe.
2. Spray the blighters.
3. Watch and admire the genius of nature, then pop to the greengrocers to buy apples  :)
Thanks

Andy

Animagdon

Apple Ants!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 19:13 »
Andy that's fab lol!  Thank you so much for the reply - I'm going to attack with the hose pipe and I will see how that goes  :D

My partner just said we can hose ours and eat Tesco's and have the best of both worlds lol xx

andyandyjohnson

Apple Ants!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 19:57 »
Quote from: "Animagdon"
Andy that's fab lol!  Thank you so much for the reply - I'm going to attack with the hose pipe and I will see how that goes  :D

My partner just said we can hose ours and eat Tesco's and have the best of both worlds lol xx

Good luck. I opt for spraying the blighters usually, but I am very lazy. Let me know how you get on,

gobs

Apple Ants!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 20:46 »
Once you've done that, put some grease bands on the tree trunk and stake and try to locate and lose the ants.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Apple trees and ants

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 15, 2024, 16:16
by Grubbypaws
xx
ants apple tree and insecticide question

Started by nemie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 16:01
by nemie
xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6

Page created in 0.697 seconds with 30 queries.