Tomatoes

• 7 Replies

JamesD

Tomatoes
« on: June 01, 2008, 19:23 »
Hi Everybody. This is my 1st year growing toms at the moment i have got 4 varities on the go Moneymaker. Shirley.Sungold.and outdoors Gardeners Delight. I dont seem to able to get this watering quite right i have noticed today most of the leaves are starting to turn upwards but not discoloured yet.The plants are approx about 4ft high and i have heard so many different ways to feed them from Tomorite right down to sheep manure.Can anyone on the forum give me any advise on both of the above any advise would be very appreciated. Regards Colin

gobs

Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 19:28 »
Leaf curl in toms is common and can be the sign of nothing, if they look OK otherwise, don't worry.

Feeding is a big topic, all to their own, you shall have plenty of contradicting tips.

Thing is, if growing medium is good, all the feeding malarky is down to encouraging more flowers and so more fruit set. Which then the plant can't ripen on this short summer... :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Tomatoes
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 19:48 »
Hi Colin welcome to the forums  :D

Loads of advice on Toms, I just feed 'em with tomato food and concentrated seaweed extract if I've got it, don't feed until the first truss has set then your ok.

Tom's store quite well btw in the green state in apple boxes and newspaper and will slowly ripen if kept frost & damp free.

Like Gobs says toms leaves often curl  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

JamesD

Toms
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 21:10 »
My thanks to both of you for that information.Regards Colin

tweeky

Tomatoes
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 22:33 »
Beegly.

I'm, a newbie to the forum, but have experience with Toms.

Unlike the boss said I don't feed that early. I generally (with bush toms) pinch out the first sign of a truss. (much prefer outdoor toms than greenhouse ones)

Watering is very important...not too much and not to little yea. I got a tip from an old pro grower which I have used ever since.

When you plant the Toms in your garden...at the same time plant a 3 or 4"" plant pot on an angle to the roots next to them.

In heavy rain you don't need to water of course, but in dry weather, just fill the plant pot with water either daily or two daily (if the water level is down to zero, then it needs topping up) and when fruit starts to appear, put the food into the pot exactly the same as watering them.

There is also another technique with tomato's whether they are greenhouse or outdoors.

You have probably leaned about removing axle shoots. But....and this is more drastic......when the fruits begin to appear, you can remove (cut) most of the leaf branches. Leaving a few leaf branches and your toms.

This will result in better fruit....should you wish to learn more about this method, then Google it. Honest, it really does work.

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 00:02 »
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

muntjac

Tomatoes
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 07:08 »
have gotta ask ,,,,, what is beegly? :?
still alive /............

archibtbm

Tomatoes
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:06 »
muntjac, it's the noise tweaky the android made in "buck rogers in the 25th century"

xx
Tomatoes

Started by lizziemac on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 22:17
by chrisjsmith
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Decka on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 11:12
by Growster...
clip
Tomatoes looking ill

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 25, 2020, 08:04
by cc
xx
tomatoes

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 14:24
by Trillium

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 29 queries.