Chicken Virgin.

• 9 Replies

tweeky

Chicken Virgin.
« on: June 01, 2008, 19:13 »
Beegly.

I'm sure this kind of post has been made many times in the past...but as I am new to this community and having looked through a number of pages, I haven't yet spotted one which I could add to...Hence, my new heading..please bear with me yea.

Unless you are a 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century' fan...Beegly is robot talk for Hello, How ya doing, Good Morning etc...... :)

I am partially physically disabled, my partner Vonnie is confined to an electric wheel chair. However, we do have non-dis grown up lads in the house. Who will help and assist us.

Vonnie wants to have a couple of Chickens...as we all like a fresh eggs and she would love to have them anyway.

We will be siting the chicken coup at a level where she can access it on the days she is well enough.

So my questions are very basic.

1) What breed is best?
2) Chicks or grown birds from a dealer or market? ( we are in no rush)
3) Do we let them wander around the back garden (no plants in it) which is fenced in, or would a movable pen about 20 feet by 6 feet...or smaller as I do not know what is required be the best thing?
4) Are two chickens happy or should it be three or four?

I have genned up on feed etc and housing which sorts out some of the problems involved with keeping livestock. We also have no problems with the council as we are in the country.

Pests and diseases I can look into of course...it's just the basics as my questions above. Much better getting feedback from peeps on a forum who have experience rather than reading books and wondering.

Thanks in advance.

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Chicken Virgin.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 19:28 »
hi there and welcome,
 hybred warrens are probally your best bet for  lots of eggs, but for prettyness they are not so good!! its is a case of which ones  you like best really, most people on here have diff sorts of breeds and all lay eggs! :?
buying hens  to start with your best  bet is point of lay from a reputable breeder so  you can be sure they are vaccinated against most common illness'.  and also that they are sexed correctly and  you dont find  yourself with boys! :oops:  
free range is good if  you dont mind  your garden looking trashed quickly! :oops:  a moveable pen with free ranging while  you are around works well  for lots of folks. the size you are talking about would hold more than 2 so would be great.......... i tihnk once the chicken bug bites  :wink:  you will find yourself with a few more but  two are a good place to start. I started off with 2 marans and now have 13 and some eggs (hopefully soon to hatch) under as broody.

im sure  you will get lots more answers yet.
good luck and please rememebr one thing once  you have  your hens, the law round here is pics pics pics :oops:  we like to see pics of chooks and ducks :lol:
regards jeanette

Porffor

Chicken Virgin.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 19:45 »
s'mae! :) Hello!

I'm just outside Llanelli though am English, so just learning Welsh :lol:

I am new to chicken keeping too (so no great advice from me), got our first 2 girls last week. :) We got hybrids (either Bovan Nera's or Black copper marans - not 100% sure)!
they are at POL (point of lay) so fingers x'd we should have eggs in the next few weeks.. waiting patiently. :)

They are lovely animals, and I must say low maintenance compared to a lot. :) once you have everything right of course. :)

We have 2, and they seem happy together. they were in seperate runs at a local feedstore so weren't best buddies or anything but get on well all the same. :) They both have differnet voices, markings and even characters! which is lovely for both myself and our daughters. :)

Wish you good luck in your planning and hope to see you around here, and pictures in due course! :)

Kate and her Ducks

Chicken Virgin.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 20:00 »
Afraid I don't have much advice either as I am pretty new to this and have ducks anyway. They lay me loads of eggs and have never regretted them for a moment. Be careful on starting this poultry lark though - I started out just wanting the 3 ducks for eggs. I now have 3 white Campbell ducks and a white Campbell drake, 3 6week old ducklings (a Campbell, a black crested without a crest and an appleyard) and 10 day old campbell ducklings.  Its a slippery slope!!!

Hello to the forum though, there are loads of fab people who will be able to help.

Kate
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Chicken Virgin.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 20:21 »
I'd go with Warrens too esp first time they are a lovely friendly brown hen, and they will lay like maniacs for you, won't go broody as that's been more or less bred out of them, they are quite economical to keep in the way of food etc some breeds eat more than others.
If you can let them wander then they will be "happy as larry" even penned up  in the size of pen you mentioned they would have ample space,

I've never had less than 3 hens so I'm not sure about just two but Aunty keeps a couple very successfully, ask your self how may eggs you eat in a week, we've found we now eat about twice if not three times as many now we have lovely eggs, cakes are wonderful with fresh eggs.  :D

Just thinking about getting another 2 myself  :roll:  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

peggyprice

Re: Chicken Virgin.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 20:33 »
Quote from: "tweaky"

1) What breed is best?
2) Chicks or grown birds from a dealer or market? ( we are in no rush)
3) Do we let them wander around the back garden (no plants in it) which is fenced in, or would a movable pen about 20 feet by 6 feet...or smaller as I do not know what is required be the best thing?
4) Are two chickens happy or should it be three or four?

Hi Tweaky!

in reverse order:

4.  Two will be fine, as will three, or four, (or five, or six, or ... :lol: )  Best to decide before you start how many you want/can have in the space you've got AND STICK TO IT  :lol:  (and if you can do that you'll do better than anyone else round here  :wink: )  Rmember that it's easier to start with them all new together than it is to introduce new ones later, and if you do need/want to introduce new birds later try to make it a minimum of two.

3.  Whether they freerange or stay in their run is really entirely up to you - like a lot of people round here, mine have a relatively small run but one that's big enough to keep them in all day if necessary (if we're out, or if we just need to keep them in one place for some reason), but do freerange round the garden most of the time.  Allow 1 square foot per hen in the hen house and three square feet minimum per hen in the run and you'll be on the right track.

2.  For lots of practical reasons probably better to start with POL (point of lay) birds from a good breeder - POL is an age not a stage, so they won't necessarily start laying straight away.  

1.  Breeds .... ooh, now there's a can of worms  :wink:   Everyone round here has their favourites; all I'm going to say is that I have a mixture of hybrids and pure breeds, and my most reliable layer is my Welsummer pure breed who lays me a beautiful darkish brown egg nearly every day  :lol:

And above all else - PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Chicken Virgin.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 20:39 »
Beegly,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm 3 months in to chicken keeping and am already incubating eggs for some more!

We have 3 chickens as we didn't want one to die and be lonely (well that's what my kids said).

I would say they are brilliant pets and if you've the help you need you should be fine with keeping them.  They only time they need involvement is letting them out early in the morning and shutting them in to bed at dusk.  Also egg collecting is important if you don't want to encourage egg eating from your chickens.  So we do that about midday.

I would also encourage you to let them roam free if you're not too worried about your garden.  We've just penned ours off because they were trashing things too much and it was causing World War 3 between my OH and me (he didn't like the poo everywhere, surprisingly! :shock: ).  However, I really miss them being free range as I would go and sit in the garden and they would come and sit next to me for a little sun bath.  They are lovely sociable pets and if you want to enjoy them that way it's great to let them roam free.

Good Luck!  :D

tweeky

Chicken Virgin.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 20:47 »
Beegly

I'm just outside Llanelli though am English, so just learning Welsh

Same here, it's a pain though isn't it. I am fortunate as my partner Vonnie and her lads can help me with loads of place names and pronunciation of eggs, newspapers etc. But some of these village or road names are stupid, as they can translate in several different ways...just wonder if its worth it as they have a different welsh between North, Mid and South Wales.

But even they (Welsh Born) think its a stupid language....!!!

Thanks for the info everyone...really appreciated. Up to now we seem to have a consensus of which breed to get. Warrens

Though not pretty as nettynoodles1 said...mind you, who cares what they look like as long as they do their job and you can eat em afterwards, heh,heh.

Thanks for the info about the pen. That was quite important on my list of priorities, seeing as I shall have to build it myself.

Regarding the pics. I have just introduced myself on the new members thread. Being new to Wales its a new greenhouse, rabbit and guinea pig hut, raised veg plots, chicken run etc. So I said I would post before, during and after. So don't worry, there will be plenty of pics...you will probably become bored. :D

peggyprice

Chicken Virgin.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 20:50 »
Quote from: "tweaky"
So don't worry, there will be plenty of pics...you will probably become bored. :D

We don't do bored  :lol:

tweeky

Chicken Virgin.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 20:55 »
Beegly.

Whilst I was writing my previous posting, another very nice couple posted, so many thanks Fifitrix and peggyprice

xx
chicken virgin help needed!

Started by chickchick on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 22:26
by chickchick
xx
?? 'virgin' broody pullet quandry??

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 17:00
by mdueal
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
New \chicken

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 01:14
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 36 queries.