Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: May 23, 2008, 19:26

What's this and can i have permission to nuke it

• 11 Replies

Boating in a field

« on: May 22, 2008, 19:26 »
Hi all

My family and I got our plot a few weeks ago and we've been good little organic bunnies and tried to dig all the weeds out. Unfortunately we've been restricted in how much time we can spend down their because of the rain. This seems to have had the opposite effect on the weeds. When we have been down we've concentrated on clearing a patch and getting sumat in - as very wisely advised by the good folks here.

I'm slightly worried that while we've been living the good life on one bed the rest of the plot's been taken over by the weed army. I'm worried about one of it's members in particular.

The roots of this monster go down a least two feet and the root is just a long thin round tube that goes on forever. Once it starts to come through, the only way I can describe it is as a long, thin, green pine cone - but obviously soft to the touch - it's very strange and it's ALL over the plot.

I think we're losing control of the weeds in general, and there's no digging this stuff out, so I think we need to nuke it. Do you think so too? And if you do, what do you recommend?

Humble thanks in anticipation!
 :?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 19:33 »
That has to be mare's tail, there is but one solution!

However - weedkiller may not work!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 19:46 »
if you can hold out til october use sodium chlorate on it that could kill anything but you cant grow for 6 months

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 19:53 »
Quote from: "bigsprouts"
if you can hold out til october use sodium chlorate on it that could kill anything but you cant grow for 6 months

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

That's a bit radical for something that will easily hoe!

peggyprice

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 19:54 »
Definitely mare's tail.  Horrible stuff, and every time you break a bit it comes up ten times over.

Have a look at http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0705/equisetum.asp.**  But maybe have a stiff drink first  :?  

It can be beaten, but I think over years rather than months; sometimes you just have to get it back under control as much as you can and learn to live with it, just taking out the bits you can see as and when they get in your way ...

** 'cause this link isn't working for some reason I've cut & pasted the relevant page on a post further down ...
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 20:36 »
Go nuke it!!
crush the mares tail 1st that may help, the one saving grace about mares tail is it's an easy weed to pull or hoe it snaps easy, just be persistent with your hoeing and pulling, it will get more manageable as time goes on.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 20:37 »
That link didn't work for me Peggy  :cry:

Dig out as much root as you can and then hoe hoe hoe - never let it see a Sunday  :wink:

peggyprice

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 21:17 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
That link didn't work for me Peggy  :cry:

Dig out as much root as you can and then hoe hoe hoe - never let it see a Sunday  :wink:

How weird - sorry  :oops:

You can get to the page via www.rhs.org.uk - then 'advice' - then 'problem solver' -  then 'weeds' - then 'Field horsetail' ...

or I could just c&p it here  :oops:

Advice
RHS Help & Advice
Field horsetail (mare's tail) control
One of the most dreaded weeds, established field horsetail has roots that are usually too deep to dig out. Repeated destruction of foliage will eventually weaken the plant; alternatively, treat it with an approved weedkiller but it is likely that more than one application will be necessary

Identifying horsetail
Equisetum arvense (field horsetail) has creeping rhizomes, which may reach 2m (6.5ft) below the soil surface. There are two types of shoots: in late spring light brown, fertile stems 20-50cm (10-20in) appear, terminating in cone-like spore-producing structures. Later, sterile green shoots develop into (60cm/2ft) fir-tree-like plants.

Chemical control
Applied in early spring, dichlobenil (Casoron G4 Weed Barrier) can inhibit new shoots. Do not use near herbaceous plants, bulbs or crops. Apply glyphosate (Roundup Tough Weedkiller) in late summer when weed growth is strong. Before spraying, trample or drag a rake across plants to bruise the cuticle which assists herbicide penetration. Glufosinate ammonium with fatty acids (Advanced Weedkiller Ready to Use for Beds & Borders) can kill horsetail shoots. The fatty acids are said to dissolve the plant’s outer cuticle, aiding penetration. Treat regrowth promptly.

Ammonium sulphamate* (Doff Tough Weedkiller Spray) can be applied when the weed is in active growth. One application should kill the foliage and some of the root system.

Persistent clumps can be spot treated with gel formulations (Deep Root Weedkiller Gel) or ready-to-use sprays. Further applications may be required later in the season or the following year. Apply with care as these herbicides are not selective; always use according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

* The active ingredient ammonium sulphamate and all products containing it are being withdrawn. It can continue to be sold until 22 November 2007, but can be stored and used until 22 May 2008.

Cultural control
Rhizomes can be forked out of upper soil layers, but deeper roots often will regrow from small pieces. Shallow, occasional weeding is not effective and may spread the problem. By regularly removing plants as soon as new shoots appear above ground, infestations can be substantially reduced in a few years. Horsetail sometimes appears in new lawns, but will not persist if the grass is regularly mown.

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 22:14 »
Mulch the ground you aren't using yet with black plastic, mulching fabric or (my personal favourite,) cardboard. TBH I haven't tried it with mares tail, (I haven't ever had to deal with the stuff, thankfully) but it kills off everything else including (given time) ground elder, cooch grass and bindweed.
Where you have got crops growing, unless it's really everywhere I'd try the hoe on it, and stay organic.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 22:19 »
I have this stuff, and its very difficult to beat. I have left one area with it and nothing else, so i can keep mowing then the grass should eventually beat it. I will compost the cuttings.
always have a target
and an objective.

Boating in a field

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 22:24 »
:cry:  :cry:  :cry:   :evil:  :twisted:

Thanks all, especially Peggy. That information is really useful. I may need several little tipples to get over it though.

I will investigate the chemical cocktail suggested by the RHS. I haven't missed the irony of one of them being unavailable for use after today. :wink:

It looks like something we might just have to live with so i'll also be hunting it down before Sundays too.

It doesn't seem worth using the chemicals if they won't deal with the problem once and for all but the plot is riddled with it so it might need a helping hand just to get it under control to start with.

On the bright side, at least i've found something green that I can't kill - there's a silver lining in every cloud.  :cry:

Many thanks again

Lyn

washsaint

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 16:03 »
The link had a full stop on the end. The link should be:

RHS Page on Mares Tail

If it helps any our back garden area that is now a veg plot was, originally, a mass of ground elder.  COnstant digging and hoeing down the weeds when they appeared seems to have worked.......they are now under control without having to put pesticides everywhere.

xx
Planning permission for polytunnels

Started by MisterPlough on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2007, 17:03
by Annie

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 42 queries.