Broad beans and pea being attacked!

• 2 Replies

Stepharoo78

« on: May 23, 2008, 11:36 »
However...the pea and broadbeans have been attacked by the pea and bean weevil (u-shaped bites out of the leaves).  They're lookign very poorly now.  Can anything be done to get rid of these?

The rest of the new allotment is looking good so I'm hopiong it's not just me!   :lol:

gobs

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:44 »
Broad beans usually not ruined by them, unless very severe. Avoid early peas - or sow indoors - and rotate and dig over well after the crop.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:59 »
Hi

We have the same problem - planted some very healthy looking broad beans and within  2 days they were attacked by the pea and bean weevil, just like you tell tale u-shape bites on the edge of the leaves, they've now moved on to my peas and mangetout.  :cry:

Have asked if there is any way to get rid of them but I believe there isn't anything that can be done to kill them off.  Have done a bit of searching on the net and the only thing apparently that can help to distroy the new larve which can eat the roots is to hoe well around the plants as the adults lay them just under the surface.

The other thing to do is to apply growmore just to give the plants that extra bit of help to grow and keep the level of damage as small as possible.

Ours broadbeans were attacked some 4 weeks ago now and they are still growing well and starting to flower even if they do look somewhat rough.  :?

willnbirdie

xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
exclamation
French beans and broad beans

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 13:44
by lovemyveg
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 36 queries.