my ex battery hen is sick

• 6 Replies

KIDGER

« on: May 21, 2008, 14:02 »
Hi can anyone give me any help regarding my sick chicken, her symptons are listlessness, very watery droppings, heavy breathing and her (comb) is down, she has been to the vet who said she didnt have a temperature but gave her baytril and an injection last week, however she is still not right,  she still seems to have an appetite but only for a few minutes then she wanders off into a corner. Any insight into what is wrong with her would be great appreciated.

Cheers Kidger

Vember

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 14:06 »
Someone will be along real soon to help you, it could be a few things.

How long have you had her?, what are you feeding her?, do you have any other hens?, are they ok? Have you had a look at the poo section in poultry info does her poop look like any of those?

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=17568

Welcome to the hen house by the way :)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 14:19 »
hi kidger, so sorry your girlie is sick.

im afraid its part of being an ex batt, my eevie has been down for a week now. really growly breathing, going off on her own. but still eating and drinking and telling the younger girls off.

i also tried baytril, to no effect. its just her time coming to an end.

im just glad eevie is getting to spend her last few months playing in the sunshine.

eevie's had a good going over by the vet, nothing physically wrong, just her little body wearing out.

KIDGER

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 15:00 »
Thanks for your prompt replies, we have had her a year and 3 months so she has had a good innings for an ex battery, we have 3 battery hens left, one from the first batch that is still going strong after 2 and half years, we had six but one by one over the last year they have gone to the great chicken hutch in sky. Our last one only went over a month ago and she showed similar signs to this one but we couldnt save her. They all get a varied diet of layer pellets, special corn mix with grit etc in it, grass as they free range the garden, have a special liking for spaghetti and grapes, they certainly are not fussy eaters. I have even given them live yoghurt and am currently trying a little bit of garlic in their water.... I know she may be at the end of the line but I wont give in until the very last.

Kidger

Vember

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 15:04 »
Sounds like your doing everything for her thats is possible. She's had a good retirement so far.

Will keep everything crossed for her :)

Porffor

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 19:24 »
So sorry to read about your hen. I'm a 'wanna be' owner at the moment.
Sounds like you are a great owner, and she's had a great life with you. I'm sure she's grateful.

KIDGER

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 09:16 »
update on sick chick, shes still hanging in there, even had a go at the other two over food yesterday afternoon and won, saw a bit of the old girl back briefly, otherwise not much change but as everyone has said she has had a good life, hope we all get treated as well in our retirement (though i'm not sure about having to eat grass...)   I would definately recommend keeping ex battery hens as they are a real joy and not as hard to look after as people think, we had moved to the countryside from the city and had no idea, we read up a bit and chatted to some neighbours who kept em and off we went. We converted an old dog kennel got the hens from our local battery hen welfare sanctuary and  nature took over. They were all pecking around the garden in 2 days and after 1 week you would never believe they had been caged, fantastic and the eggs were a big bonus to, all my friends are sad as they had all got used to the taste of (real free range eggs), my last two healthy ones have stopped laying for good now but it was fantastic while it lasted. So good luck to all the wannabe's, do it as soon as you can.

Cheers Kidger

xx
car battery

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 08:46
by poultrygeist
xx
battery hens

Started by karenn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2007, 20:21
by karenn
xx
2 ex battery hens

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 14:07
by andreadon
xx
Battery Hens

Started by mrs.ploppy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 22:31
by Foxy

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 29 queries.