Dog and chicken licking!!

• 23 Replies

Catt

« on: May 21, 2008, 13:12 »
I hope someone can help me with my embarrassing dog and his 'attachment' to one of my chickens!!

I have had two chickens, a sussex white and a bluebelle for four weeks now and at first my two dogs (springer spaniels) were fine with them. The last week or so though, one of my dogs has been cornering one of the chickens (always the same one, the bluebelle) and licks it's bottom for AGES, until I see him and obviously stop him! Sometimes the dog has the chicken cornered somewhere, but sometimes it is just in the middle of the garden, and the chicken doesn't seem too worried about it!!

I am concerned about the chicken getting sore, an infection, or generally stressed, so am trying to think of a way to stop it. I do tell my dog off everytime I catch him, and could shut my chickens in the run, but it is nice for them to enjoy the garden. I was wondering if anyone knows of anything that would taste nasty to my dog, but would be harmless to the chicken that I could put on it, to deter my dog!! I was thinking mustard or something, but obviously don't want to hurt the chuck!!

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 13:18 »
Is it possible he's doing because your chook has a dirty bottom ?

If not, tee-trea cream seems to be the thing to go for. Not sure if it'll be harmful to your dog at all but shouldn't think so. It'll smell quite strongly so should put him off.

Maybe he thinks the chook is a pup and needs his parenting skills ?

They are strange creatures sometimes.

Rob

Catt

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 13:33 »
Hiya,

Thanks for your reply! no, the chciken's bottom is clean (just very damp now!!) I think you hit the nail on the head, he is a VERY strange animal! ha ha!! Come to think of it when we had our second dog as a puppy, he would spend ages grooming him and licking around his mouth etc, so that could be a possibility. It's strange how it's just the one chuck though, mind you the bluebelle is tamer than the sussex so that could be it too!!

I will try the tea tree cream, and any other suggestions would be great!!

Vember

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 13:56 »
Wow what a strange dog you have there,

Suppose it's better than trying to eat the chicken  :lol:

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 14:59 »
If the tea-tree doesn't work then stockholm tar probably will. Farmers will often put it on the backs of lambs necks to stop the fox from taking them.

peggyprice

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 17:29 »
I'm just amazed your hen stays still long enough for the dog to get to her ... my hens & dogs would just end up chasing each other round the garden in ever decreasing circles  :lol:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 18:12 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"
I'm just amazed your hen stays still long enough for the dog to get to her ...

I'm sure it's not Peggy.  It's just a wind up  :!:

Someone with nothing better to do  :roll:

Catt

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 18:45 »
Gosh!! Thanks for welcoming me to the forum, and gosh again!! I swear it's not a wind up! And no, when it comes to the health and well-being of my animals, I can't think of anything 'better to do'. I too am surprised the hen just stays still but it does. Maybe it doesn't mind it, maybe it is too scared to move.

I am sorry if you think I am wasting peple's time, i am not. I am genuinley trying to solve a genuine problem!!

I must admit I am quite shocked at the accusation!!

Thanks for those who have posted with tips though, I will try the cream first as may be easier for me to get than the tar!!

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 19:47 »
relax  catt  :lol:  no one was saying ur winding us up.... typed replies look different if no smilies are used or not used in the right place.. try the tea tree oil and the tar is poisonous to the dog so forget that .vasaline will cure it mix pepper with it or mustard :twisted:  :lol:  :lol:
still alive /............

Catt

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 19:54 »
Sorry for being a bit defensive muntjac, it was only Aunt Sally's post that made me feel I was being doubted and when she was saying it was a wind up and I was someone with nothing better to do then I do feel I am being doubted! I know it's a bizzare problem that may sound a little unbelieveable but that's why I am asking for help!! :D

Thanks for the info on the tar, and I have vaseline at home  :oops:  and chilli powder so will try that tomorrow as the dogs are safely in for the evening!!

Jellyhead

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 20:21 »
Handy to keep Tea Tree cream anyway Catt as its a great antiseptic and helps stop feather pecking if ever that becomes a problem :wink: You can get it from |Boots :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 21:15 »
Our little cocker spaniel LOVES chicken poo!! Its great - he hoovers it all up off the lawn!

He only ever goes for our sebright cockerel - mainly as this chicken gets flappy and panicks which is a bit of fun for the dog. He gets on very well with the others.....

Porffor

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 21:17 »
Is chicken poo 'ok' for a dog to eat? my terriers eat guinea pig and horse poo.. given the chance (when i'm not chasing them off it).  :roll: it did occur to me if i let our hens 'roam' in the garden the dogs'll have a treat with their poo!  :?

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 21:20 »
we just make sure we worm them all at the same time so they dont transfer worms? Ez is a pretty disgusting dog to be fair.

Porffor

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 21:24 »
sounds fair.. all dogs are disgusting really! lol well in a nice kinda way of course. :)

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Help, which is the right chicken?

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 18:05
by smiler43
clip
chicken run

Started by candymancan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 17:31
by Aliparty
xx
chicken run

Started by pelirocco on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 09:54
by joyfull

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 36 queries.