Nightmare plot holders

• 131 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2008, 00:07 »
Quote from: "chippie295"
Peapod, we shouldnt have read this before we get our plots! I'm getting wound up already.  I'm trying to do some cosmic ordering (eat your heart out Noel Edmonds) for some great allotment neighbours!

chippie  :D
We shall stun them with our wit and charm :-)

(or a taser  :shock: )
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Deano_The_Beano

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2008, 01:25 »
well done Tugster your plot looks great. We have had our allotment for just over a year and over the winter put in raised beds. Weve had comments from our Neighbours such as....... oh your building a show garden to if you were a farmer you would be bankrupt as your wasting too much space for paths!!!! We took no notice of the people that didnt like it and took advice from the people that did like. We also tend not to go to the allotment on a sunday when all the busy bodies are there and go in the evenings or on a saturday when its much more peaceful, so that we can get on and do whatever we want, not what people tell us to do.

eggsandgardens

Don't let the bas...ds grind you down !!
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2008, 03:58 »
I have been really lucky to get an allotment that has been previously cared for by an elderly couple who nurtured it for over 30 years until ill health has forced them to give up.  The soil is great and it came with a great big  (equipped) home made shed and an enclosed seating area.
The problem I have is that when it came up for grabs, many plot holders asked for it.  The committee decided it should go to a new applicant and that happened to be me.  I got my plot of the 1st May 08.
Quite a few of the plot holders are so jealous that they won't talk to me.  They are always walking past looking at what i'm doing.  HA to them I think.  I have 3 friends who have plots the other side to me and they keep me posted with the gossip.  I heard one of the fellas went to the committee and said 'fancy giving it to a women with young children who'll not get anything done and ruin the plot'.
All it's done is made me work harder.  I'm there nearly every day.  I've moved all the paths round to make the beds smaller, I've double turned each of my 8 beds and hand removed every blessed weed, i've raked until my hands are blistered to achieve a fine tilth, i've built a greenhouse out of recycled wood (with the help of my joiner husband)!, i've made 3 trips to the tip so the plot is clear of debris and the most important thing is that the Veg i've planted are starting to grow.
I'm praying for bumper crops  - I'll show em' !!!

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2008, 07:42 »
Why don't all us "nice" non negative plot holders all sell our houses, club together and buy an island made of compost. We could grow our own food, teach our children about life, pay NO taxes and overpriced petrol and diesel and basicly live the high life.
Oh what a dream!!

P.S

I would be boss  :twisted:

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2008, 09:37 »
I agree with Deano ~~ when I have finished all the hard work on my new plot I will only visit it during the week!! or either early morning or late evening!! Its lovely and quiet!! I still think all these tales of woe is that old *new kid in town* feeling! You know..when your ideas just dont fit in or your face dont fit or to quote the old  Fats Waller song..."YOUR FEETS TOO BIG"  :lol:  I am coming to the conclusion that there will always be something wrong where some people are concerned! I am waiting for someone to complain that my radishes are too tall  :wink:

ps good idea tugster  :wink:

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2008, 09:43 »
I can sort of understand the 'old timers' point but only up to a errr point
Im sure a lot think its a new fad and we'll all get bored and go away soon,

but Im also guessing that they were the first ones to complain about the plots that were standing growing weeds!

There is no excuse for patronising and rudeness, and certainly no call for gossip about someone who has worked their fingers to the bone.

Eggsandgardens has got the right idea....you get them crops huge!!

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2008, 10:00 »
Excuse me Jazz, I am not moaning or telling you how to grow veg but I think your radishes are a little on the overgrown side. I know its non of my business and I would not normally say anything!!!

Plus I don't think your hair style fits in down here :lol:

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2008, 10:02 »
and you raised beds have been made with the wrong type of screws

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2008, 11:58 »
Tugster ___ YOU IS IN BIG TROUBLE NOW  :eye: hehehe!!

Jazzbyrd

dugless

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2008, 21:55 »
Had an example of the opposite today a plot holder came up and said. I hear you had someone complain about the position of your shed. Well I think it is brill tell them to take a hike. Makes your day when that happens.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
Re: Don't let the bas...ds grind you down !!
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2008, 23:01 »
Quote from: "eggsandgardens"
I have been really lucky to get an allotment that has been previously cared for by an elderly couple who nurtured it for over 30 years until ill health has forced them to give up.  The soil is great and it came with a great big  (equipped) home made shed and an enclosed seating area.
The problem I have is that when it came up for grabs, many plot holders asked for it.  The committee decided it should go to a new applicant and that happened to be me.  I got my plot of the 1st May 08.
Quite a few of the plot holders are so jealous that they won't talk to me.  They are always walking past looking at what i'm doing.  HA to them I think.  I have 3 friends who have plots the other side to me and they keep me posted with the gossip.  I heard one of the fellas went to the committee and said 'fancy giving it to a women with young children who'll not get anything done and ruin the plot'.
All it's done is made me work harder.  I'm there nearly every day.  I've moved all the paths round to make the beds smaller, I've double turned each of my 8 beds and hand removed every blessed weed, i've raked until my hands are blistered to achieve a fine tilth, i've built a greenhouse out of recycled wood (with the help of my joiner husband)!, i've made 3 trips to the tip so the plot is clear of debris and the most important thing is that the Veg i've planted are starting to grow.
I'm praying for bumper crops  - I'll show em' !!!

Aparently, when my plot came up (and it wasn't in the best of nick) some the other plot holders were down on it like vultures someone wanted it because it was larger and one person had to be told by a comittee member not to take the path!
Fortunately for me they split what had been a double plot and got two people off the waiting list. Its a comittee run site and I'm not sure how they organize allocating new plots. There's a lady just taken on a plot next to mine who has been on the waiting list three years. I got offered a plot a year and an half ago after an 11 month wait :!:

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2008, 09:22 »
Another update on this nightmare situation.
My nightmare lady has finally lost the plot (no pun intended)
She claims that I am ruining the enviroment with my stone path.
She claims that i have, I quote: Removed the stones from there natural habitat, therefor damaging the eco system they came from.
I am no expert on the eco system of a stone, but I am sure that if this was a huge problem, there would be programs on the BBC informing us of this crime to the planet. Afterall, most of us have them on our drives at home.
I had a phone call last night by the young girl who uses the top of my allotment. She went down quite late in the eve and caught the woman tampering with my own hose, she was on my allotment doing something but we are not sure what. When she saw the young girl coming down the path she jumped back over to her side. The give away was the hose still plugged into the tap and the tap running. I always remove my hose and roll it up. I now have to lock it away.
This is getting beyond a joke now, I have no idea what her problem is and don't know what she is upto so late at night when its dark.
The problem is she is quite clever and when she is asked whats going on, she will just say I have no idea what you are talking about. I have tried to ignore this woman but its making her worse.
What the hell do I do?

jack russell

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2008, 09:29 »
get some video evidence of her sabotaging your plot or trespassing just try to be there before her and hide in a neighbours shed or similar.  The committee should boot her off if you have sound evidence. :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Tugster

• Experienced Member
Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2008, 09:34 »
This is the last thing I want to do. I just want to be left alone to garden. There is no way I would sit and waste my time trying to catch her out. Plus the allotment is council run and has no committee. Its a nightmare and makes me not want to go down there anymore.

matron

Nightmare plot holders
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2008, 09:50 »
Ooooooh, don't do that Tugster because then she will have got what she wants. Do you know the general times she is there and could you avoid those times. There are some reasonably priced CCTV kits about - that would save you having to sit and watch.  :lol:  I hope it is all resolved soon. If you do get evidence of interference I assume the council would then have to act.

xx
Q for Allotment holders in Kent

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 11:38
by brianc
xx
Dealing with bad allotment holders.

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

55 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 17:44
by Caddi fuller-teabags
xx
PH nightmare

Started by screamingcow on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 23, 2010, 14:28
by savbo
xx
Not a nightmare neighbour

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 18:15
by SalJ1980

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 29 queries.