transporting manure

• 16 Replies

luckypurplebutterfly

transporting manure
« on: May 19, 2008, 13:40 »
I've found a riding stables which will give me manure but now need to figure out how to transport it to my little patch. The best I have come up with so far is to buy a hippo bag and shovel the poo directly into it in the back of my car (I old have a baby car, a citroen C1 but with the back seats down it should be ok), then at the other end I will have to shovel it into a wheel barrow and wheel it to the back garden. I reckon it will be a fairly big job for all 5'1" and 8 1/2 stone of me, shorting of hiring some burly men how do all the other little ladies manage?

flatcap

• Experienced Member
transporting manure
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 13:54 »
when we go for manure ,i put it into compost bags so i can lift them then they go into the back of the car to the lottie with the windows wide open :)

then either carry from car to lottie or put them into wheelbarrow to transport

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
shifting manure
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 14:00 »
Rather than buying a hippo bag have a word with a builder or look around for somone having sand or gravel delivered in those big bags. They are only allowed to use them once then have to dispose of them, ideal for shifting stuff in the back of the car.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

Wildeone

transporting manure
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 14:00 »
could you maybe buy some of those big plastic bucket/trug things with handles and put 8 of those in your boot? (seat down)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/75-Litre-Large-Garden-Trug-Potato-Vegetable-Planter_W0QQitemZ320252012973QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20518QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Like the above but don't get them you can get them a LOT cheaper in wicks (black only) or other garden centres.  You can reuse them again and again as well!
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
transporting manure
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 14:05 »
I've sourced a manure heap which is well rotted and ready to use.  It is quite a distance from my plot so I've been putting the manure in black bags and in the back of the car with the seats down. It is a lot of work and I really wish I had a trailer to do it all in the one go. Because of the time involved I'm prioritising the beds to get manured. I'm concentrating on the pumpkin bed just now. Once that's all ready and planted up I'll just slowly build up a stockpile of manure for next year.

Lardman

transporting manure
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 14:18 »
... hope no one is in the middle of lunch  

You might not want to use the 1 tonne drop bags, or anything else thats woven. You'll find the weight of the pooh makes them act like a sieve and you'll get pooh juice all over the car.

I use rubble sacks (just thick bin bags) don't fill them all the way and twist the top.  3/4 of a bag of pooh is about as much as I can lift without getting too up close and personal with it.

I also put a large piece of plastic (damp proof membrane) down first just incase theres some on the outside of the bags.  4 lined up across the width of the boot stops them falling over, found that out the hard way  :oops:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
transporting manure
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 15:05 »
Trillium came up with a suggestion to use buckets with lids, I think thats how she transports hers, deffo anything thats has been woven acts like a sieve manure juice on the car seats makes the kids moan... I know  :wink:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Wildeone

transporting manure
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 19:37 »
Trillium = her,  :?  :?  :? I'm so sorry Trill i always had you do as a lad!  :oops:

woodburner

transporting manure
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 22:35 »
Quote from: "Lardman"
... hope no one is in the middle of lunch  

You might not want to use the 1 tonne drop bags, or anything else thats woven. You'll find the weight of the pooh makes them act like a sieve and you'll get pooh juice all over the car.

I use rubble sacks (just thick bin bags) don't fill them all the way and twist the top.  3/4 of a bag of pooh is about as much as I can lift without getting too up close and personal with it.

I also put a large piece of plastic (damp proof membrane) down first just incase theres some on the outside of the bags.  4 lined up across the width of the boot stops them falling over, found that out the hard way  :oops:

That's exactly what I do too :D except for the plastic lining the boot is the wrapping from a double mattress, and I got 12 bags in last time  :wink:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

vegmandan

transporting manure
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 23:46 »
Find someone you know with a van or trailer and just buy 'em a couple of pints and promise them free veggies for a year !. :lol:

Trillium

transporting manure
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 03:33 »
:lol: Pretty close, Richy. I actually use dustbins with lids. You can pack more in, but definitely need help lifting them into the car as they're heavy. No leaking, no stink. A quick rinse and the bins are back to regular duty.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
transporting manure
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 07:57 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
:lol: Pretty close, Richy. I actually use dustbins with lids. You can pack more in, but definitely need help lifting them into the car as they're heavy. No leaking, no stink. A quick rinse and the bins are back to regular duty.

this is what I do, me and a friends husband.  works well, no smell.
I am sorry, unless you are going to use ALOT of the bucket type thingys then enlist a friend to help.

Lucy
x

luckypurplebutterfly

transporting manure
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 08:54 »
Thanks everyone! All of the advice on here is wonderful. I will certainly avoid the hippo bag, hubby is being very patient with me taking up the conservatory with seedlings, I think poo juice would be the last straw for him. I've got two old compost bags and the vicar has 3 big gardening buckets with handles, another friend from church said she'd let me borrow come buckets too so hopefully that will be enough to get me started.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
transporting manure
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 08:58 »
Just stepped outside & found 6 pre-bagged lots of horse poo on the driveway.

A neighbour, (sorry), keeps horses & actually delivers the stuff to me - you need to train them properly - she's glad to be rid of it!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Alex 98

transporting manure
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 10:34 »
I saw some horse manure in bags by the side of the road, being offered free  :lol: (in Suffolk, not Enfield), thought i'd take a few bags. Loaded the car up. :tongue2:
 It was a hot day in July...... :?
After about a mile the inside of the car was full, I mean FULL of flies, like a scene from a Hitchcok movie
I pulled over and ran from the car, engine still running, flapping like a lunatic :oops:
About an hour later I'd cleared the car of manure and flies

The moral of the story, 'don't fill your car with S**t on a hot day'!

Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

xx
Transporting Horse Manure - advice please!

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 12:17
by Runwell-Steve
xx
Transporting bushes?

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 06, 2017, 19:53
by RJR_38
xx
Transporting Compost

Started by Dr Green Thumb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2012, 20:24
by Dr Green Thumb
xx
Building raised beds - lengths of boards, transporting boards to lotty

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 21:59
by beaker141

Page created in 0.56 seconds with 29 queries.