Composting - turning advice please
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 21:06 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Peggy.....you need to get out more  :roll:

Rob

where do i join ?

Mmmm, I know ... :oops:  

And I'll let you know when I find out  :!:
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

peggyprice

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 21:22 »
I did it. I turned about 80% of heap1 into bin2.
Most of it was just grass clippings steaming away but i guess it gets the bacteria commuting along the mouldy road into everything else.

i now have 2 cool heaps with loads more green stuff on top. I clipped round the lawn edges and created another barrowload or 2 to go on. I'm hoping for some sunshine to heat them both up and get things going again.
And when I next go to the tip I'll pick up some 'oss muck on the way back to chuck on.
If only I'd realised the joys of composting sooner. Do the OU do a degree in it ?

Rob

You see, it's not just me ... :!:

I LOVE compost.  Don't know why, I think it's just the wholesomeness of it - nothing wasted, everything going back into gorgeous black goodness.  Most people get chickens for the eggs; I got mine 'cause I wanted their poo for my compost  :?

On a more practical note - you don't sound to be putting much cardboard in your heap, Rob - inner tubes from kitchen and toilet rolls transformed my compost bin.

And there's the title for my next book ... :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 21:30 »
That's me told then !

Can't put eggboxes in cos we use them for giving away the eggs.

Got a bale of straw so can add some of that now and then. As well as the chook muck. But don't get much each day.

Rob

poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 21:38 »
Just remembered. We have to rip up the toilet roll tubes to get them off the holder. Bad design.

Got plenty of woody old stems and small twigs to keep it open but of course they won't rot down much.

I am concerned that it was mostly grass rotting down and might have started to get anaerobic. I want to do it properly.

Rob

Weessy

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 23:03 »
poultrygeist, how do you get the toilet rolls on the holder if you have to rip them off?  :?

poultrygeist

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 09:25 »
Once the inner tube is off, you can get the sprung holder off but with a roll on there you can't get your fingers onto it to spring it. I think.  :?

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 14:12 »
yeah don't add too much grass mowings at once, just evenly layered  :D  

I got pipped at the post - again - on Freecycle for a compo bin. Doh  :evil:   I want it for my chicken poop.

Oh well guess I have to be patient. bunged it on the roses again today as compo bin full. Sigh

peggyprice

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 23:03 »
Just remembered. We have to rip up the toilet roll tubes to get them off the holder. Bad design.

Got plenty of woody old stems and small twigs to keep it open but of course they won't rot down much.

I am concerned that it was mostly grass rotting down and might have started to get anaerobic. I want to do it properly.

Rob

Erm ... now I'm confused  :?   The toilet roll tubes will still help your compost even if they're in little tiny weeny (sorry, probably wrong choice of word :shock: ) bits ...

Just any old tissues or pieces of kitchen roll (as long as they haven't got cooked/raw food waste on them), bits of uncoloured cardboard, if you work in an office or shred your own bits of correspondence that's great too (and the ultimate in confidential disposal :!: ).  Newspaper - best scrumpled up into balls - that helps with the structure & keeps air in, rather than putting it in as flat pages which start to stick together and don't break down properly.  You just need to make sure you have a good balance between 'green' and 'brown'.  Plus of course your litter from your chicken house which is the best addition of the lot, even if you don't have much :D

Sorry; told you I was a compost fan  :oops: Do you think I'll pass the exam?  :?

peggyprice

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 23:06 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"

I got pipped at the post - again - on Freecycle for a compo bin. Doh  :evil:   I want it for my chicken poop.

Oh well guess I have to be patient. bunged it on the roses again today as compo bin full. Sigh

Have you tried your local council?  I got a new (large) dalek bin from Veolia for a tenner with free delivery - saw exactly the same one in B&Q a week later for £40  :shock:

poultrygeist

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 20:03 »
I'll start a cardboard and paper collection. Got loads of weeding and unwanted plant pulling to go yet so I'll need lots to balance it all.

I'm sticking with my 2 wooden efforts for now. Don't want to add to expense at the moment. They don't do anything like that free.

I need to source another bit of carpet to keep them cosy at night. Can't have the heap shivering can we ?
We don't get a lot of chick poo at any one time. About a sandwich bag full every day. Makes the sarnies taste funny mind you  :shock:

Thanks again

Rob

compostqueen

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 22:51 »
our council ones are now £20 each as they say they're not prepared to subsidise them any longer, hence my looking for one on Freecycle

question
ADVICE ON TURNING PIG RUN INTO ALLOTMENT PLEASE

Started by hellebore on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 01, 2009, 11:44
by Christine
xx
Composting advice

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 21:04
by Yorkie
xx
I need advice about composting please......

Started by cindieloo on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 11:00
by digby
xx
Cauli's turning turning purple

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 13:11
by Oscar Too

Page created in 1.253 seconds with 30 queries.