Running late

• 11 Replies

Fluff

• Experienced Member
Running late
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:54 »
Had a accident last year and missed the majority of the summer on the lottie . This year planned to get ahead and start seedlings in march but the nhs waiting list was better than expected and I had two operations on my arm in march . Getting back to full fitness now but of course the sowing did not happen. The patch is covered in nettles and the odd weed but as it had been dug over last year should not take much to get down with the mantis tiller. My question to you guys is should I now treat May /June as March/April and see what I can get in and hope we have a long summer or just forget the fact that I cant get any onion sets etc and go for  salad leaves lettuce and high summer crops.
Any thoughts advice welcomed.
Cheers Alan   :)
NOT ARF !

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Running late
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:51 »
Hope you're soon back to full health Fluff...

Why not check out the Month by Month guides on this site, I'm sure it won't be too late to get a crop of something  :)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month/garden-may.php

noshed

Running late
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 14:41 »
You'll be allright for cabbages, carrots, beetroot. And of course runner beans, toms, chillies, courgettes, squash.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

gobs

Running late
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 20:56 »
Oh Fluff, I don't think you missed much yet. You are past garlic and onion seed def. :lol:

Too late to sow: aubergine, pepper, some chile, celery, celeriac, melons, but you can buy seedlings, if you want. Also, might be worth putting it in the Swap Forums, some folk might have spares near you.

Your onions and pots just gonna be ready a wee bit later .

I think, most else commonly grown veg still plays. 8) Get on with it. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

matron

Running late
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 21:54 »
We have a nearly full net of white onion sets that we aren't going to use if you want them (bought too many  :oops: ). We have only planted ours in the last fortnight.

Fluff

• Experienced Member
Running late
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 22:54 »
Quote from: "matron"
We have a nearly full net of white onion sets that we aren't going to use if you want them (bought too many  :oops: ). We have only planted ours in the last fortnight.

Thank you for your offer bizarrely my lottie neighbour who keeps himself to himself wandered across today and gave me some spare onion sets and seed potatoes which have now gone in.(nice fella)

I have also put in some salad onions,peas and sprouting broccoli.

Plus other beds are now nearly ready for some salad leaves.

Also with a bit of luck could get some strawberries in although they take a year to really get going dont they.

Thanks to all the other posters as well .  

Alan

pushrod

Running late
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 00:34 »
I reckon there is a lot to be said for late sowing - the plants tend not to get knockbacks from the cooler  nights and often up bigger and healthier than the ones that have been sown much earlier. I still have some tomato seed to sow and only put my runner beans in a couple of days ago.
good luck.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

iwantanallotment

Running late
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 01:09 »
I have spare leek, sweet pepper and tomato plants that you're welcome to, if you like? Probably more, but can't say without checking.
I've never sent bare rooted plants by post before, but am happy to try if you think you could use them?
I also have a ton of Hestia bush runner bean seeds - they're quick and a good cropper.
Just pm me if there's anything you'd like. I'm not 'selling' BTW, they're free to good home :lol:
And good luck  :wink:  As others have said, the season is only just underway, you've loads of time for plenty of things yet  :D :

iwantanallotment

Running late
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 01:10 »
ooops, was dupe....deleted  :oops:

blackbob

• Experienced Member
Running late
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 07:53 »
Quote from: "pushrod"
I reckon there is a lot to be said for late sowing - the plants tend not to get knockbacks from the cooler  nights and often up bigger and healthier than the ones that have been sown much earlier. I still have some tomato seed to sow and only put my runner beans in a couple of days ago.
good luck.

i'm with you on the late sowing,everything seems to grow better and is only a tadd later than the early sown seeds :wink:

muntjac

Running late
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 23:59 »
you dont have to send bare rooted just remove 50% of the soil wrap in damp cotton wool, place in a sealable plastic bag inside a jiffy,send first class parcel post .. only sent tubers out so far here.but i used to swap plants when down " sarf " :wink:
still alive /............

iwantanallotment

Running late
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 01:04 »
Fab advice Munty, I've saved that. Thanks very much  :D
I've bought/received bare-rooted plants before and they were half dead when I got them - and that was from experts - so I didn't much fancy my chances as a newby, but was prepared to try.
Thank you for your great tip from "down sarf":wink:

xx
Up and Running at Last

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 15:27
by nobby
xx
Running out of water

Started by Muls on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 19:10
by Muls
xx
Running out of space

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2014, 11:19
by compostqueen
xx
Rhubarb running to seed

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 07:55
by azubah

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 29 queries.