Pumpkins and Butternut Squash questions

• 8 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« on: May 14, 2008, 13:59 »
I know there are other threads on this, I am just sooo confused by all I read on the internet.

I have 2 pumpkins and 6 BNS.  I was going to allow 3ft x 3ft of growing space per BNS, should I cordon off the area for each or let them intermingle?  
does it matter if they are planted in soil enriched with manure or compost?
Do I create a hill to plant on as with pumpkins?

Pumpkins, I have read about planting under sweetcorn, has anyone done this?
Same question goes about the hills etc and which manure to use

Finally, feeding.  Can I use soaked chicken pellets for both or should I use a liquid feed and how often?

Sorry for all the questions - on information overload.....!

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 17:16 »
I let them intermingle cos I'm not unduly worried about them cross pollinating or anything, or whatever it is they do  :D   I given them plenty of manure at planting time to retain moisture and feed them so they get off to a good start. You could add manure pellets when you see fruits beginning to swell as they're heavy feeders.  You don't need to soak the chicken pellets as you normally don't have too long to wait before it rains, or you could water it in if you wanted to.  You don't have to create a hill if you don't want to but the hill is usually a pile of poo.

The "three sisters" of corn, beans and pumpkins is common and works fine but purists would keep sweetcorn to its own bed to get the best possible harvest, as they need good feeding and care to get the best cobs. Because they're worth it  :D  :D

shirazcat

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:37 »
Hi all,
          Agree with all the above, just like to add that I feed my pumpkins with tomato feed once a week, once the fruit has set. Just use the same mix as on your toms.
                 Adrian.
life is too short for work

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:09 »
Thanks for your replies, I am somewhat clearer.

Just one last thing to confirm, other than feeding with my pellets and a bit of tom feed, does it matter if the pile under the hill is compost rather than manure, as I have none of the latter?

gobs

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:33 »
Manure would be better, it is sold bagged, just like compost. :wink:

3x3 foot you surely mean planting distance, root space and not growing space, as than you would not get much fruit. Let them run around in the entire area and I would increase the growing space a bit.

Some pumpkin will need 2sq metre planting area though.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:12 »
Hi there,  If I had 4 plants and gave them  a 12ft growing space and planted them 3ft apart does that sound better?

such a novice! :oops:

ruth82

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:57 »
Now I am worried....I didn't plant my spaghetti squash on a hill...are they going to be ok? Do I need to do anything to them now? :?

have given them plenty of room though so at least I have got that bit right!  :)
Rabbits are NOT cute

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 13:00 »
Quote from: "ruth82"
Now I am worried....I didn't plant my spaghetti squash on a hill...are they going to be ok? Do I need to do anything to them now? :?

have given them plenty of room though so at least I have got that bit right!  :)

They'll be fine.

In fact I do the opposite, I either plant in a small dip, or make a small ridge all the way around the plant. This keeps the water in.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 21:02 »
Quote from: "vineweevil1"
Hi there,  If I had 4 plants and gave them  a 12ft growing space and planted them 3ft apart does that sound better?

such a novice! :oops:

I put 2 large plants to a bed of about 10x12 feet area, that's only as I don't have more space for them, smaller BNS you can squeeze in a bit more.

Page created in 0.698 seconds with 36 queries.