Slugs are starting to make me sick

• 29 Replies

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« on: May 09, 2008, 23:48 »
I am just after coming out of the garden, I took a silly notion of going on a slug hunt (I had forgotten to top up the pellets)... and now I feel sick:

I must have cut about a thousand slugs in half an hour. I have a big dung heap piled up and I could not destroy them as quick as they started emerging and having a great time on top of it :(
And since last year there are nasty big red and black ones that I so far only knew from home- what a mess when you slice them open (and I suppose they do alot more damage than the wee ones!)

I am really frustrated right now and can't see me getting away without tons of slug pellets (in all fairness, the damage so far has been not too bad). And me trying to be as organic as possible!

I've put up a coin barrier but so far only partly and wire and ashes (ok, beds themselves weren't too overrun tonight), but I must have brought in the pests with my lovely dung.

What way is everyone else with them freaking (I hope this doesn't count as swearword) things?

Bell

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 09:16 »
Hi Bell,

I'm the same, I've lost several complete cabbage plants now!  the beer traps do work as mine are almost full of slugs, I'm gonna put down several more.

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:17 »
I can't cut em in half or tread on them. Now the sun is out we hopefully will see fewer of them  :D

Don't get fixated about slugs!  They are part of gardening as are weeds.  You can make beer traps which work well as long as you remember to top them up.  When you've eaten oranges or grapefruits you can put the half shells upturned on the ground near your brassicas etc then collect them up in the morning.  I make slug traps out of old plastic small milk cartons or those placcy boxes you get washing detergent in, make a hole in the side for sluggy to climb in (put some beer in if you want or yeast grains) that way the slug pellets aren't in contact with your food and can't be accessed by hedgehogs or dogs etc

woodburner

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:37 »
Don't kill the big ones, some of them actually eat the little grey ones! I'm not 100% sure which ones are the carniverous ones, I just remember 'big' 'keeled'and 'black', not necessarily describing the same slug. I do remember clearly that 'It's the little grey ones that do the damage.'

Also lots of slugs (not the grey ones) only eat rotting stuff so do no harm.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 09:48 »
I know nothing about slugs except they eat my plants and make a mess on the carpet should you step on one!

I always remember slugs being black but the ones we have now are great big giant yellow things that come out at night and hang around the chicken mash so I have to get that in as soon as they have gone to bed.

Can anyone tell me what these are called and how can I get rid of them they give me the willies!!

Thank you.

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 10:06 »
Quote from: "kimT"
I know nothing about slugs except they eat my plants and make a mess on the carpet should you step on one!

I always remember slugs being black but the ones we have now are great big giant yellow things that come out at night and hang around the chicken mash so I have to get that in as soon as they have gone to bed.

Can anyone tell me what these are called and how can I get rid of them they give me the willies!!

Thank you.

"Another of the keeled slug group is the Yellow Slug. This animal is somewhat smaller and smoother than the Great Grey Slug. It is grey with a distinct greenish or yellowish tinge, and it has a yellow sole (the underneath part). The tentacles are steely blue. This species feeds on fungi and decaying matter and it can often be found crawling on the lowr parts of damp walls."
Learn to love them ;)
I stepped on one once, in socks, it went pop, I retched for ages just at the memory of it :!: , so believe me I know how you feel!

Actually the memory is making me queasy even now

:puker:

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 11:35 »
could you not feed the big sluggies, or little slugs, to your hens?  Mine eat them.  I have a plan, when my hens are more used to me, to take them for a nice day out to my allotment so they can eat slugs there  :D

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 11:41 »
Our girls won't touch them they run away and they won't touch those big fat horrible worms either and I don't blame them!

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 11:45 »
mine love worms anorl. I thought all chickens did  :?

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 12:25 »
I went this morning to see how many more slugs had succumbed to the slug pellets that I scattered after my killing spree and to check on  the bodies of my victims... something obviously took quite a liking to the killed slugs, next to none left (and there were hundreds!!)

On the other hand none of  the pellet victims had been removed. Looks like someone is benefiting from my hunt :)

Does anyone know a website where we could learn about the good and the bad slugs?

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 13:23 »
I've found one useful link for the time being

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/biosi/staffinfo/wocs2.html

agapanthus

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 15:05 »
I tried 'advanced' slug pellets last year....they are supposed to be the organic growers dream!! They work well!! :)

gobs

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 19:19 »
'slugs starting to make me sick'

Stop eating them. :lol:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 20:26 »
Quote from: "gobs"
'slugs starting to make me sick'

Stop eating them. :lol:  :lol:

urgh.. you really are awful :D :D :D

weeeed

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 20:31 »
Put heaps of used coffee grounds round the ones the slugs really like and relax. If the plants are healthy they will survive. If this sounds very polityically correct I put it down to sun damage today :lol:  :lol:
I know less today than I did yesterday, and I knew nothing then!

xx
Just starting out

Started by dazza on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 13:02
by dazza
xx
starting out...

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 15:43
by Christine
xx
Starting Out-Help!

Started by Mand312 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 14:47
by GYO Girl
xx
Starting up

Started by Digger on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 16, 2006, 10:47
by John

Page created in 0.583 seconds with 37 queries.