Numpty question - Glyphosate

• 5 Replies

Hawthorne

« on: May 09, 2008, 18:32 »
Actually, two numpty questions!

First, how long does it take to work? I had visions of the weeds keeling over fairly rapidly, but a couple of days later they still look the same as they did before I started.

Also, can I compost the remains if / when they finally do give up the ghost? I'm hoping so as it's about a third comfrey.

Many thanks!

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 18:47 »
Killing time is dependent on the strength of your solution if you mixed it from concentrate. At recommended doses, you're looking at around 3-5 weeks depending on the type of weed and size. Once sprayed, you must leave the plants so the leaves can send the solution to the roots, which is what you really want to kill.
I often add a bit more than recommended if I'm in a hurry, and can get results within 2 weeks. Farm strength solutions (not sold to the public) will finished them off before 2 weeks.

As for composting the leaves, you could, but I think most people would be afraid of lingering residues. But glyphosphates are supposed to become 'dead' within a few hours of spraying on soil and such. As for spraying comfrey, you obviously don't realize you're shooting your own foot.  Go up to the header, click onto Information and look for John's leaflet on the uses of comfrey. It makes a very effective 'tea' for feeding plants.

Hawthorne

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 19:37 »
Thanks Trillium

I'll stop panicking that they aren't wilting yet.

As for the comfrey, there's plenty left in other areas - it's a major weed for me and it's popping up everywhere, 5 foot tall already in some places! This area got sprayed as there were so may nettles etc mixed in that I couldn't chop it down without being stung / shredded. I think I will chuck it all on the heap in another week or two.

dugless

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 20:33 »
Dont Worry I have planted and sowed stright after using glyphosate and clearing the dead weeds, with no ill effects. and as Trillium says Cumfrey makes a very fertiliser
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

vegmandan

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 21:57 »
I wish they'd put some kind of dye in glyphosate as I have quite a lot of creeping thistles,but once a few have been sprayed and a bit later when other ones pop up you never know which you have already sprayed before they start to die which can take ages. :cry:

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 15:11 »
I got some glyphosate in a spray container (ready mixed) which will foam as you spray if you pull a bit of the nozzle out. Its easier to direct too.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
New Potatoes....numpty question

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 21:56
by mercury
xx
Numpty question about seed germination in the ground

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 09:22
by simonwatson
xx
Leeks Tell a numpty what I am doing wrong

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 21:41
by DD.
xx
No Glyphosate R....up

Started by sunnywillow on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 29, 2020, 22:25
by sunnywillow

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 36 queries.