Peahen invasion. Update

• 27 Replies

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 18:52 »
when one of our peacocks escaped a few years ago we used a large fishing net to catch him, althou it took a few days. - you could try a heavy large box, prop it up on one side with a stick high enough so the peacock can go under, with a long string (so peacock cannot see you is best) tied tightly to the top of the stick, put some feed into the back of the box (peacocks love bird unsalted peanuts and you could try and leave a trail of them about 2 foot apart leading into box) and when peahen goes in pull string to shut lid. or you could try a net with a frame (ie a childrens goal net), again prop it up with stick and long string attached with food inside and pull down when peahen is inside,  we had to try all the above before we eventually bought our fishing landing net to catch him as they are very very quick :x

good luck and try not to rush her as she will take off on fly to the top of your house :)

clare - would still love her as she is just what we have been looking for these last few months as our other black shoulder peahen died last year :(

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 18:54 »
another thought, have you got a shed you could open the door to and lead feed into and pull string to shut door quickly :)  :)

clare

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 19:04 »
i should have mentioned peahens tend to wonder when they want to lay eggs, so you might find a little surprise :o  - they tend to lay early evening every other day

clare

poultrygeist

Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 19:11 »
I've got a few metres of poultry netting so that may be useful.

The peacock man is coming to look any minute now so he may be able to tell if she's likely to lay or not. He suspects she may be a year old who's been kicked out to make her way in the world.

May need to get on freecycle for some large boxes. Do you reckon a large removal box would do ?

CMFAM

• Experienced Member
Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 19:23 »
AS LONG AS YOU CAN GET HER IN IT THIS SOULD BE FINE, YOU WILL HAVE TO TAPE UP BOX WELL AS THEY FLAP AROUND A LOT AT FIRST, PUT IN LOADS OF VENTILATION HOLES AS WELL, IF NOT TAPED UP WELL YOU RISK HER OPENING UP THE BOX :x

WITH THE NETTING IF YOU DID NOT HAVE A HEAVY BOX/SHED TO TRY AND TRAP HER WITH, YOU COULD TRY CORNERING HER AND THROWING THE NET OVER HER BUT YOU WOULD NEED MORE THAN ONE PERSON :D

IF YOU LEAVE IT TO LATE SHE WILL SOON GO TO ROOST ON TOP OF YOUR HOUSE OR SOMEWERE HIGH, AND YOU DON'T STAND MUCH CHANCE THEN OF GETTING HER DOWN TONIGHT

WHOEVER REHOMES HER WILL HAVE TO KEEP HER IN AN ENCLOSURE FOR AROUND 5-6 MONTHS OR SHE WILL WONDER AGAIN :roll:  - THIS IS WHY OUR FIRST PEACOCK WENT MISSING AS WE LET HIM OUT TO SOON, THEY ARE FINE NOW AND JUST STAY IN OUR GARDEN/FIELD :)

BEST OF LUCK, WISH WE LIVED CLOSER

CLARE :D

poultrygeist

Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 19:31 »
Thanks for that. Loads of trees so i think she'll be ok for a couple of nights but I'd like to get her rehomed by Monday. The vet nurse reckoned you just catch them like chickens ! HaHa. No wonder she wouldn't come out to collect.

We did wonder if a sheet thrown over her might work but obviously only if she lets you get close enough. She was fine with me being a couple of feet away throwing corn to her so is definitely tame. The best hope is that someone is looking for her.

Rob

peggyprice

Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 19:34 »
Might be worth a call to your local radio station/TV station/newspaper ... if nothing else it's a nice weekend story  :)
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

poultrygeist

Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 20:26 »
The man came, we lured her (peanuts, sultanas and bread) into a bit of the chook run we'd penned off and the chap grabbed her and stuffed her unceremoniously into a box.

He'll keep her 'til someone comes forward. A very nice man.

Gave him some eggs for his trouble.

Job's a good 'un. Thanks for all the advice.

Rob

PAULSCALLS

Peahen
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 09:49 »
Hi There, We would love to have her, we keep Peafowl and she would fit in lovelly, our birds are all free range, do you still have her? i will Pm you my number please call, i can collect asap.

Thanks
Paul

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 10:46 »
Our peacocks love the hens...well maybe not the the cockerel!

They're only noisy for a couple of months...now unfortunately! After the mating season is over they're quieter than the hens. They get very tame and are delightful characters to share our lives with!

If you need to catch them, the best way is to get a large duvet or the like and throw it over them, then grab but keep the birds head in the dark and they don't struggle. Then you can carry them to an outbuilding or, if moving them, put them into a box, keeping them dark. They travel well, but the key is to keep out the light! They can be enticed into a building with corn, grapes, bread, cheese or whatever you can find they like, and then caught as described!

It is unusual for the hens to wander off, lone males are more likely to go AWOL. If you advertise, peahens are easy to rehome as there never seem to be sufficient for sale to replace those caught by Mr Fox whilst they sit on their nests. As they sit for 5 weeks, they are very vulnerable and lots get predated during this time. We keep a spare, just in case, as we don't want our male to wander off!

Good luck!

Judi

poultrygeist

Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 10:53 »
We managed to lure her into a corner of the chook run using peanuts and sultanas. She was suckered completely !

The chap leapt in after her, grabbed her legs and took her away to somewhere more appropriate. I've passed his name on to someone who was after one, so hopefully they'll be able to get sorted.

He reckoned she was about a year old and she was very used to humans and chickens. She didn't like the dog much, and the feeling was mutual.

At least I now know what to do if another appears !

Rob

PAULSCALLS

Peahen
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 21:43 »
I would say older than a year, more like 2 years, we have a Black Shoulder hen at two years and one at a year, she looks more like the 2 year old.

Thanks for your message Rob we will keep our fingers crossed   :D

poultrygeist

Peahen invasion. Update
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 21:50 »
Apparently the spurs hadn't yet developed but it's the first one I've seen other than at stately homes, etc

Best of luck.

Rob

xx
Help with Peahen!!

Started by Ruth Cross on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 11, 2007, 10:46
by Oliveview
sad
ILT OR MG update

Started by drumcrow on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 11:35
by drumcrow
xx
SAD UPDATE

Started by betty on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 23, 2008, 17:04
by betty
smiley
Zsa Zsa Update

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 23:14
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.