Mantis choke

• 7 Replies

crowndale

Mantis choke
« on: May 03, 2008, 12:30 »
OK, so I have cut my losses and bought a new mantis.  Had problems starting it yesterday but managed today.  The problem is I think the choke, or at least the instructions for it!

In the manual it says to start the machine the choke should be pushed up, so I did that, but the picture it shows is only half way up the channel.  so today I started it on half way up and it started first time.  It also said that the choke should be put down into the run position.  Now having started it today half way down (as per picture but not written instructions) I assumed that pushing it up would be the run position, but it isn't, push it up and the machine conks out.  But, I did get it to run in the starting choke position, it wouldn't run when pushed towards (but not quite there) 'run' position.

So question is, what is the proper choke and run positions because on my machine they both appear to be in the same place!  Don't want to damage the machine if I am doing this wrong!  

On a side note, am so glad I bought this and not something bigger because it still takes some serious muscle to control, well for me anyway!!  But am happy to have a machine that works, even if it is a bit contrary with the instructions!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

crowndale

Mantis choke
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 12:38 »
Actually, think I might have solved the problem.  i think the choke is simply installed upside down as it starts in the bottom position, runs in the middle (and starts!) but stops at the top.  Instructions have it all the other way round which is fine for the mechanically minded but for poor simple folk like me it makes life difficult when pictures and instructions don't match what is actually on the machine!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Mantis choke
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 15:21 »
:lol:  what you bought then the 2 stoke or 4 stroke version ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

crowndale

Mantis choke
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 16:49 »
4 stroke, too much faffing about with oil/petrol mixes with the 2 stroke!

shaun

Mantis choke
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 17:31 »
mines a 2 stroke so cant realy comment,but most 4 strokes dont need any choke to start em only if they have been standing for a while.i know my wacker plate(honda) when i want to start it dont need any choke at all ever
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Mantis choke
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 19:17 »
Mines 2 stroke as well, but the old DM would never start if you gave it more than 1/2 choke and that was 4 stroke.

neil1967

Mantis choke
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 22:44 »
I had the same problem with mine when I first used it, book says choke all the way to the top, it wouldn't start.  :shock:  :shock: Thought i'd spent £400 on a kipper :oops:  but lotty neighbour came along and put choke half way pulled the cord and it fired first time. :D  :D

Now it starts every time with the choke in the halfway position and i drop it to the bottom (run postion) after about 15 - 30 seconds.

Neil

p.s mines the 4 stroke as well

crowndale

Mantis choke
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 20:14 »
Maybe its time someone pointed out the flaw in the instructions to the people at mantis then?!!  :wink:

xx
Honda GX140 will only run with choke on

Started by jimbeekeeper on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 09:01
by Vit
xx
Briggs Stratton only running on Choke

Started by houseman77 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 11:46
by R Tallentire
xx
2-stroke strimmer only works with the choke open (JCB LT26)

Started by Kirpi on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 00:03
by jezza
xx
mantis/?

Started by mrsbean on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2013, 15:54
by mrsbean

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 28 queries.