Can you eat these

• 15 Replies

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Can you eat these
« on: May 02, 2008, 21:35 »
Oplopanax horridus is a plant Im after, I really want it. But are the fruits that grow on it edable? Do you know where I can get it from?

Trillium

Can you eat these
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 21:56 »
Don't know a UK source, but Devil's claw, despite its beauty, has very nasty thorns which you can easily impale yourself on. Since it's a member of the ginseng family, you could try places that carry ginseng.
The fruit is inedible by humans, but a favourite of bears. I take it you don't have bears in the neighbourhood which you'd like to feed?  :wink:

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Can you eat these
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 22:08 »
No unfortuantely no bears round here. I thought it was Devils club? I wanted to grow it on my plot to keep people off it ;)
Would I be ok if I ate just 1 tiny 1?

gobs

Can you eat these
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 22:53 »
Sounds a joke question, but  I read once it used to be a staple of Indian tribes, both as food and more so as medicine. Not the fruit though, I think it's the young shoots, you eat.

Besides, I can't think of anything right now a bear eats that we couldn't. :lol:

But it likes to grow in shady woodland and can't see how it would keep folks away, rather an attraction, methinks. :wink:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Can you eat these
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 22:57 »
Well, what type of person would grow such a beast? I think I would stear clear from them. ;) I wonder how it tastes, I wat to know. I'll have to look a bit harder ;)

gobs

Can you eat these
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 23:02 »
Are you on the drinks, Chilliman? Anyhow, I wonder how you would come by one. Are you planning on seed sowing or some other means of propagation? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Can you eat these
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 23:06 »
Well, I do drink ALOT of redbull, or I get headahces. But, I've read the plant is a slow grower. zzzzzz. I'll probably just get a proper plant to save years of waiting. Getting seeds is the easiest way to get ahlod of the plant. But to save time I'll look for a plant.

gobs

Can you eat these
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 23:09 »
Well, I'm sure you will tell us what it tastes like. Make sure to harvest early. 8)

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Can you eat these
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 23:10 »
Ok, I'll tell you how the stomach pump goes aswell ;)

Trillium

Can you eat these
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 23:51 »
Sorry, I meant to write Devil's club and somehow claw slipped in.

Bear's livers are a lot different than ours which is probably why you should try eating any.

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Can you eat these
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 10:17 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Sorry, I meant to write Devil's club and somehow claw slipped in.

Bear's livers are a lot different than ours which is probably why you should try eating any.

Huh, you think I should?

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Can you eat these
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 12:02 »
Why would you want to grow an 8 ft high, prickly weed??  A bit extreme to keep vemin off the lottie!
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

Trillium

Can you eat these
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 16:39 »
Drat, another finger slippage. Meant to write ...why you shouldn't eat them.  :roll: Think I was a bit tired the last 2 days.

TheChilliMan

• Experienced Member
Can you eat these
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 18:11 »
Quote from: "Jeanieblue"
Why would you want to grow an 8 ft high, prickly weed??  A bit extreme to keep vemin off the lottie!

I dont know, I guess I have a soft spot for spikey plants, Cacti, Devils club, there is also a vine which is super spikey and I dont know the name, I saw it on T.V, I think they said it was the plack palm or something like that. Its not like it grows as fast as a weed, it grows slowly actualy, I'd rather keep them off, than tackting messures after they have been on.

Drat, another finger slippage. Meant to write ...why you shouldn't eat them.  Think I was a bit tired the last 2 days.

I guess that makes 2 of us then ;)

Fat Hen

Can you eat these
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 12:37 »
Why not use Blackthorn?  Is beautiful full of flowers in early spring, produces sloes which you can put in gin and has vicious 2" spines.

Page created in 0.796 seconds with 36 queries.