Something very strange is happening!!

• 7 Replies

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« on: April 30, 2008, 22:06 »
I have a broody Cochin, about 4 days in. She seems very serious although good natured.

I have tried putting her in a broody pen but she went mentle, would not settle and sit on her eggs. All she wants to do is nest in her box 5.5 ft off the ground. That is the first problem! A 5 ft drop does not sound very safe for new chicks - particularly in a shed with a load of other hens!

Speaking of other hens, for some bizzare reason, since she has become broody the other hens are jumping in her nest box and laying their eggs under her - they are all doing it!!! Whats going on? She meanwhile seems quite content to sit on whatever they can throw at her.

What can i do to make sure that she is left alone and can raise her chicks safely in this situation? I dont want to move her again as she may not settle and then the fertile eggs will go to waste.

Has anyone ever heard of chickens behaving in this way??

Thanks for the help guys.

:?
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 22:18 »
did you move in the daytime?

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 15:36 »
Nope it was just before bed.

Jellyhead

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 17:41 »
Okay, my chooks are queens of sharing. My friend laughs at me cos she says that no mummy hen knows whos kids she is bringing up :shock: they all have their favourite places to lay so when one goes broody its bound to be where everyone like to lay, therefore broody has eggs added to hers all the time. The only way I have managed to manage this is by seperating the broody into a puppy cage so I know exactly which eggs will hatch and Mummy gets to sit in peace :D  :wink: Hope this helps :D
Oh and I have moved more than once and it is normally okay, the peace and quiet is more than welcome I think :roll:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 21:07 »
I have just removed some more eggs from under her, seems quite happy for me to do this. The fertile eggs are marked by the way. I spose i could carry on doing this until the hatch date but what do i do with a broody hen and load of chicks that are in a nest box 5 ft in the air!! :?:

Jellyhead

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 21:09 »
Puppy cages are ever so cheap you know, I put chicken wire round them to stop the chicks falling out. I just put straw on the floor of the coop and sit the cage on it. Takes all stress away from you and henny :wink:

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 21:55 »
I might be being dense but what kind of puppy cage do you mean???

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 16:18 »
can i just leave her to sit on the eggs and remove unfertile eggs as we go and then on the day of hatching move her and eggs to broody pen. Will this just stress her out and then put he chicks at risk? I really don't know what to do for the best  :(

xx
Its happening at last!

Started by Hazel Anne on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 12:04
by Snap Dragon
xx
Its happening at last!

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 21:48
by dizzylizzie
xx
Its all happening

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 14:01
by Viv
xx
It's happening right this minute

Started by kooringa on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 18:42
by kooringa

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 28 queries.