How long??

• 6 Replies

ck2day

• Experienced Member
How long??
« on: April 29, 2008, 08:16 »
I have an Amberlink hen that has been sat on 4 eggs in the garage for approx 23 days now (I have no reason to believe the eggs arent fertile as I did have the randiest cockerel going :lol: ). As I understand it they should hatch after approx 21 days, so how long do I leave her for. I have tried candling the eggs but the shells are so thick I can't see anything, plus I only have a makeshift candler consisting of a torch and small box.  When I pick up the eggs and shake them gently I can faintly hear and feel something "thudding" inside of them all suggesting there is a chick in there.

I am ok to keep waiting as I am quite happy to do that as she is still happily sat being broody or am I wasting my time?

Any advice gratefully received

Claire

Bodger

How long??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 09:45 »
If you can hear a thud when you shake them, it means that the egg is addled. Be careful not to break them anywhere near where you want to be, because they will stink.

ck2day

• Experienced Member
How long??
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:33 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
If you can hear a thud when you shake them, it means that the egg is addled. Be careful not to break them anywhere near where you want to be, because they will stink.

Thanks Bodger, what does "addled" mean?

ness

• Experienced Member
How long??
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:17 »
Sorry to jump in on your thread but I have 6 eggs under 2 broodies (7 days) and when pick up 4 of them there is a thudding when I (very gently) shake them.
I did read somewhere this wasn't a good sign.  Confirmation of this would be great (or not so great  :? ).  Should fertile eggs definitely not thud then?

Bodger

How long??
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:21 »
The thud is the 'mank' swilling from side to side. Being addled means that an embryo started to develop but that at some stage , for whatever reason it died and has started to putrify with the heat from the broody.

ck2day

• Experienced Member
How long??
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:26 »
Yuck!!!!  Thanks for that Bodger, will VERY carefully remove the "thudding" eggs and dispose of   :? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Claire

swede

How long??
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 23:10 »
Quote from: "ck2day"
Yuck!!!!  Thanks for that Bodger, will VERY carefully remove the "thudding" eggs and dispose of   :? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Claire

Hi claire,
I was led to beleave that if you drop the eggs into water the fertile eggs will float, others will sink. The ones that sink you can give away to someone you don't like!! As if you would do such a thing.  :twisted:
swede
Old age is a gift to all in time.Enjoy it!

xx
How long do they live how long do they lay

Started by cammi on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 22:02
by joyfull
xx
Grass - how long is too long

Started by cammi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 19:34
by rachelr
xx
how long?

Started by staffschicks on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 14:40
by andreadon
xx
At Long Last

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 21:08
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 28 queries.