Am i too late

• 11 Replies

SamanthaGodley

Am i too late
« on: April 26, 2008, 23:29 »
Due to certain family problems i am really behind with prepping my allotment....when i took on the allotment all the veg grown by the previous chap was still in the ground, none of it had been harvested.   I have had to dig all this up, none of it was edible unfortunately.  I have just about finished doing this now and noticed my neighbours plots are all looking lovely and dug over and potatoes are in and cloches are in abundance.  I am feeling really disheartened that I am soo far behind.  I want to make some changes to the plot, raised beds and renew the wooden boundaries as they are falling apart and the soil is disappearing down the hill (my plot is on a steep slope).  Am I too late for planting potatoes etc? Or do I still have time to tidy my plot and get the veggies in?
 :?:  :(

Sam
Samantha Godley

plot36

Am i too late
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 00:04 »
Hi
You still have time but do not worry about other plot holders as every one had to start some where. When these plot holders started like you, i bet they did the same as you looking at others. Dont.

Get your plot all sorted this year ready for next and plant just a little of what you can this year like salad stuff that's fast and easy.

Having an allotment is a joy just carry on,  enjoy getting it ready and dont look at others.

HAVE FUN

compostqueen

Am i too late
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 00:22 »
I've not got started on mine yet either but many of the peeps hereabouts don't start til April

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Am i too late
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 00:29 »
Due to the nasty weather we've had... my plot (which I took on in Jan) has only just been dug over enough to plant.

We had a lovely day there today and put in spuds and onions.

So I don't think you're too late at all!

Most people here seem to agree that the veg will soon catch up and I'd rather be a bit late than too early and lose them all to frost!

Good luck with your plot  :D
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Am i too late
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 07:28 »
Not really the weather has held us all up just have to accept a smaller crop maybe. Most things will catch up tho
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Am i too late
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 07:32 »
I'm still putting in my spuds - plenty of time for eveything yet!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shaun

Am i too late
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 07:56 »
no rush at all,apart from spuds and onions i aint put a seed in the ground yet
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Am i too late
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 08:40 »
Hey Samantha

I just got my plot a few weeks ago, and have been learning tons from the good people on this site, and from my neighbours on the allotment, so feel it's safe to say no way it's too late!!

There's plenty of stuff that can be planted all the way through  May: lots of different kinds of beans and peas, as well as lettuce, radishes, broccoli, corn, spinach. I've been putting lots of energy into digging and preparing my beds, and meanwhile getting a few things started from seed on the windowsill at home.

Gotta agree with the others that while you can certainly learn a bit from your neighbours, don't worry too much if they're ahead of you. Yesterday I planted a row of broad beans - a little worried that my neighbour's broad bean plants are already about a metre high!! But apparently you can plant them successionally throughout summer. It's worth a try, I figure :-)

All the best
Lisa

woodburner

Am i too late
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 09:12 »
What everyone else has said plus actually it's still too early for some things to go out anyway.
French and runner beans, sweetcorn, cucumber, tomatoes, courgettes and pumpkins, can be started indoors now (still no real rush though), or you can buy young plants or cadge them off allotment neighbours who have sown too many ;) They don't want to go out until there's no risk of frost, so there's still time, and even if don't have time to dig/clear space you can plant through cardboard or plastic mulch. I found a place that does really wide plastic on the net (actually it's what they use for silage!) not that stupid narrow stuff they sometimes have in garden centres.

As for the slope, my Mum's gardenslopes from one side to the other, so I've gone for Bob flowerdew type raised beds (sort of), cross wise to the slope. They are a cross betwwen terraces and raised beds ;) It's a lot cheaper and less fuss than putting up sides, which would be rather difficult on a sloping site. It seems to have stopped water collecting at the low point so is presumably stopping soil from being washed down too. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

R66VEY

• Experienced Member
Am i too late
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 12:04 »
for G** sak uve still got time to put anyfink in uve got till june to put potatoes in !!

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
Am i too late
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 12:23 »
According to the people who run my local allotment in N.Wales, unless you were there digging by January, then your plot was a mess, and if it was a mess, then you would be kicked off the site for not looking after it.

I was "allowed to use" a plot by the allotment gestapo  that was totally overgrown with more than a few years weed growth on it, in October of 2005. By the begining of april 2006 I was kicked off the site. the reason they said was that I hadnt done enough to merit my stay as an allotment holder. I had only been down there a few times they said and hadnt done much to keep the allotment looking nice and tidy.
What I had done, with my limited time( having 3 kids) was dig the raised beds over, start work on a shed and cover the area with carpet to kill off the weeds. in  the meantime I had ordered all my seeds and plants and bought wood for the shed and was getting a poly tunnel for free. So....it wasnt enough ...I had to leave after spending my hard earned. Am I wrong to think I was hard done to...or are they right to kick me off, I know its only one side of the argument you`re hearing but its basically the truth.
Anyway...Rant over , sorry to hijack the thread

SamanthaGodley

Am i too late
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 18:37 »
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, spent 5 hours on the plot today it being a gorgeous day, tattie area now ready, some of the seeds are planted, area for shed marked off............well i think i have had a productive day even if no one else does lol.......

In reply to lfcevans, I have been to my plot probably 10 times since november last year as my fiance died...........luckily our gaffa is very understanding........think they may have been a bit harsh on you

Thanks

Sam

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
Bit late

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 16:14
by green fingers

Page created in 0.674 seconds with 30 queries.