Broke my new fork!!

• 12 Replies

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Broke my new fork!!
« on: April 22, 2008, 22:01 »
Bought this smart new Spear & Jackson garden fork a few weeks ago, and just managed to snap off one of the tines at the allotment this morning. No idea how; there weren't any serious boulders or rocks under there - a few stones and some old potatoes. It's not even as if I was digging that strenuously... I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant!! My neighbours were certainly entertained though.

Gwiz

Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 05:10 »
back to the shop it goes!!
was it a stainless steel one, by any chance? a long time ago, i used to work in a garden centre, and I was surprised by just how many stainless forks where returned with the same problem.  :roll:

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 07:04 »
Yep, it was stainless steel and the most solid-looking thing you can imagine!! Yep, going straight back to the shop today, though must say I'm tempted to buy future tools cheap from boot sales!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:46 »
Quote from: "littlelisa"
I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant!! .

:shock:   So you don't want to wait 2 more weeks then.  Take care chook  :!:

new_2_veg

Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:20 »
ive a story about stainless tools

when i was on the tools a few years ago now, will who i used to work with was digging to make a base for a slab of concrete for a bridge to bare on and his fork snaped!

he sliped and landed on it! parras came out and took him away and had to have a opp to remove and put right the dammage, i cant remembethe whole list of damage but i know he had 2 ribs removed!

get a normal steel one, makes me feel sick every time i look as a s/steel fork/spade

good luck with baby 8)

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

siztenboots

• Experienced Member
Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:38 »
Broke one of my forks the other day, but it was the wooden handle just inside where the metal fork part attaches.

Mind you, the fork is older than I am, but the remains of the handle and shaft will be put to good service as a dibber.

In its place I am using a sturdy homebase spare fork to turn over the beds that I have just cleared with the last of 2007 onions I had left in over winter.
Steve

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 21:16 »
Quote from: "gwiz"
back to the shop it goes!!
was it a stainless steel one, by any chance? a long time ago, i used to work in a garden centre, and I was surprised by just how many stainless forks where returned with the same problem.  :roll:

Hard spots in the stainless and probably not correctly hardened (precipitation hardening rather than heat and quench).  Superior stuff stainless can be but only if produced properly and forged properly.  A lot of stainless steel failures in welded structures occurs not in the weld itself but in the heat-affected zone right next to the weld, where Chromium Carbide can readily be formed, a very brittle substance.  Incorrect heat treatment or forging while hot can result in the same.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 22:22 »
I've just looked at your profile tinbasher - Welder, Metalworker, Engineer   8)

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 23:22 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I've just looked at your profile tinbasher - Welder, Metalworker, Engineer   8)

Is that what I put, can't remember now?  Didn't trust my information though eh?  :wink:   I'm sick of metal sometimes after 21 years of it, but it is very interesting sometimes and you can't join wood together as easy as you can most metals.

Cost of metals these days:  Getting frightening.  Steel prices used to traditionaly rise every January 1st, by 1 or 2% at most, so little as to be negligible.  Year in, year out the cost was about the same, especially on a bundle of each size (say qtr tonne or more).  I still nearly keep making costly mistakes by thinking that, for example, a bar (6m length) of 12mm round is about 3 quid plus VAT, a little more if only getting a few, but down to just over 2 quid if getting 250 kilos. I used to buy this size and a few more like it in qtr tonnes and sell a bar for 4 quid, cutting for free.  Not so anymore - it's now more like 6 quid or more per bar - plus VAT of course - so the VAT is now more than a quid rather than 10 bob.  Stings you both ways.  And it all means that to buy a qtr tonne (about 36 bars of 12mm round) one now has to shell out around 250+ quid rather than about 100 quid.  Then there's all the other sizes, at least twenty for any general metal shop.  Squares, rounds, flats, hollow section, a tube or two, angle iron, etc.  It all amounts to a few grand now tied up in stock, rather than a few hundred.  So cash flow is dented, which generally means smaller orders these days, which means paying more per bar.  It's a vicious circle.  

Delivery always used to be (in the 80s, early 90s) free as well, as long as 50 quid or more (ex VAT) was being spent.  The steel wagons are out every day and tend to do a circuit in a certain area, so a drop en route wouldn't be a journey out of the way specifically to you, but just a detour on a pre-arranged route.  Then suddenly most all firms started charging for delivery - a tenner per drop (plus VAT of course  :( ).  Then it went to 15 quid, then 20 quid.  This year my regular supplier from Trafford Park, M/cr, put delivery at 27 quid (plus VAT) per drop, which is of course over 30 quid on top of an already inflated cost.  So it's no use now buying just a few bars for say 100 quid (that used to be 50 quid or less, year in year out) cos the delivery makes it over 130 quid, so it's even more per bar.  So to make it viable, you have to order large bundles to even out the delivery cost per bar.  But large bundles now costs £grands instead of £100s, which isn't always possible.  Some steel remains on racks or on the floor for months and its harder and harder to afford the cost tied up in stock.  An ever more vicious circle.  The trade is being killed by the rapidly rising costs.  I use a lot of box (hollow) section for making gates and such.  30mm square hollow, a popular size, used to be about 9 quid a bar (7.6m) on 2 or 3 bars or about £7.50 a bar on qtr ton, with free delivery.  I was quoted today £22.30 per bar for 3 bars, plus VAT, plus delivery, plus VAT.  Insane.  Spent 15 mins on the phone and found some for £16 per bar, but have to self collect.  And have you seen the price of scrap now, which means you daren't leave anything lying around outside?  I remember in the 90s when scrap light iron reached a nadir of just 2 quid per tonne, which meant nobody was collecting it, but that it was safe to leave lying around.  This week, new steel cuttings disposed as scrap were fetching £234 per tonne.  Where's it going to end?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 00:54 »
be careful there lisa ok?
I also snapped a SS spade two weeks ago, it had only been used once! I was quite chuffed with 'superwoman' tag till I found out it wasnt finished properly and was inherently faulty
I thought I was She-ra for half an hour
:-D
Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 00:57 »
Tinbasher And have you seen the price of scrap now, which means you daren't leave anything lying around outside?  I remember in the 90s when scrap light iron reached a nadir of just 2 quid per tonne, which meant nobody was collecting it, but that it was safe to leave lying around.  This week, new steel cuttings disposed as scrap were fetching £234 per tonne.  Where's it going to end?

In the last six months we've had a run of people taking the grate covers from the back streets all around us, I bet the council are mighty p*ssed off replacing em, not to mention the noise at 7.30am when they do
Its getting that bad the local paper reported on it

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Re: Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 12:32 »
Quote from: "littlelisa"
Bought this smart new Spear & Jackson garden fork a few weeks ago, and just managed to snap off one of the tines at the allotment this morning. No idea how; there weren't any serious boulders or rocks under there - a few stones and some old potatoes. It's not even as if I was digging that strenuously... I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant!! My neighbours were certainly entertained though.

Had the same happen to me on the first morning of digging over my new garden a couple of years back... spear and jackson as well... just got it replaced.. great spade and fork to be honest now i have a properly forged one lol
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
Broke my new fork!!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 14:08 »
Spear and JAckson are all made in the far east now, not that that is always a problem but I stick to old tools made before the 1970s or one made by Bulldog in Wigan. I always think it is pointless having a stainless steel fork anyway stick to the strength of a carbon steel one. I bought a new Joseph BEntley spade and it snapped in half never again will I be tempted by new stainless steel!

xx
which fork to buy

Started by toodoo9011 on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2016, 15:49
by snow white
xx
New fork

Started by Plot94 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2019, 19:13
by jezza
xx
Fork

Started by Flump on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 16:16
by arugula
xx
fork tines

Started by 2peasinapod on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 21:47
by 2peasinapod

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 28 queries.