Newbie needs help please- creosote substitute

• 6 Replies

Milly

• Experienced Member
« on: April 22, 2008, 19:17 »
Hi everyone  :D
I found this site by accident whilst researching creosote substite and am glad I did because it looks very interesting. As I am new, just to intorduce myself - I live in the south of yorkshire and until a few years ago I lived somewhere that I had composters, a veggie patch, chickens, goats and horses. I moved to my present property 3 years ago and am just starting gardening again, this time with on a much smaller scale due to practicalities. My father in law made me a lovely deep wooden 'coffin' shaped box and it was my intention to grow carrots and spring onions. He advised me to weather proof it with creosote. I found out this is no longer available and bought a creosote substitute from travis perkins and gave it several coats. I am now worried as I have read about the toxicity of creosote and the dangers related to it and am not sure if the substitute is the same, can anyone advise me please?
If the substitute is dangerous to veggies is there anything I can put over it to make it safe??????? :cry:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 19:39 »
Hi Milly,

Firstly welcome. Creosote was taken off the market as it was allegedly carcinogenic, apart from not being good for plant life.

Some substitutes are also dangerous to plant life, depends what it says on the container. I think they only tend to own up if it's safe for plant life!

As for sealing it in - I don't know on that score, but I'm sure someone will.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 20:59 »
Hi Milly welcome to the forums  :D

could you line it with plastic ? & punch a few holes in the bottom of it.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 21:46 »
I have thought of lining it with plastic but am not sure if it's safe for the veggies. Really gutted as was looking forward to growing again but I am scared of using it now.

growmore

• http://www.braa.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 23:39 »
Line with a decent quality plastic/polythene with drain holes in the bottom and you should be OK. Some creosote substitutes are less bad than others but as others have said they are not going to broadcast whether they are the better ones or not. A decent polythene should keep it at bay and after a couple of seasons the worst of the bad should have settled down.

Milly

• Experienced Member
safety update
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 13:53 »
Just to be on the safe side I contacted the company that make the creosote substitute. They assurred me that although dangerous to animals and plants when wet, once dry it is harmless. They suggest 48 hours to dry. What a relief  :lol:

simond9383

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 17:33 »
Just to warn you, I used this on my shed and whilst it may or may not be safe, the smell lingers on you and your clothes for days.  Even washing the clothes still leaves a residual smell! Certainly make sure you wear waterproof gloves!
Try to be organic ...sort of ...most of the time ...

xx
creosote substitute.

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 22:18
by Paul Plots
xx
Growmore Substitute

Started by Hobnails on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 12:50
by Aunt Sally
xx
Can you use grow organic as a manure substitute?

Started by ferret1988 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 16:40
by rachelsco
xx
Lautrec Wight - substitute garlic supplied. Will it grow in the north?

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 18:38
by AnneB

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 30 queries.