Planting by the Moon Query?

• 14 Replies

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
« on: April 15, 2008, 23:39 »
Hi, I am interested in the idea of planting veg according to the different phases of the moon. I have on order a book called Gardening and planting by the moon by Nick Kollerstrom but are having to wait a week or two for delivery.
If any member of the forum has a copy of this book, can i be cheeky and ask when is the best time this month to plant potatoes and broad beans.(broad beans are shop brought are well established, though i understand  this makes no difference, the transfer of the plant to the final bed is all that matters).If any other veg are best sown during this months moon phases, i would be most grateful for the info. x
pol

vegmandan

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 23:59 »
I think the weather and the temperature of the soil will have more of an effect on your crop than what phase the Moon is in.....sorry.... :?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:33 »
We've had this before - here's a couple......

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4212&highlight=moon+planting

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=14625&highlight=moon+planting

Enter "moon and planting" (no inverted commas) into a search to see them all.

Personally I believe in planting when I can between the rain showers!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

penance

Re: Planting by the Moon Query?
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 08:25 »
Quote from: "pol and mick"
can i be cheeky and ask when is the best time this month to plant potatoes and broad beans

Some time between 6:30am and 7pm on a dry day.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:32 »
Quote from: "penance"
can i be cheeky and ask when is the best time this month to plant potatoes and broad beans

Some time between 6:30am and 7pm on a dry day.

Absolutely spot on!

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 08:41 »
pol and mick, Firstly I'm sorry that you didn't get an answer that will help you , I know there is much more to it, but its not for everyone as you can see. Secondly, I too would like an answer to your questions, I'm going to have a look at the book you mention.

Weather conditions do play a huge part in when you can do things outside, but nature knows best, work with her  :) AIMHO

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 08:47 »
If you look at the topics DD. highlighted you will find LOADS of information and discussion there  :!:

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:46 »
Hi, I am interested in the idea of planting veg according to the different phases of the moon. I have on order a book called Gardening and planting by the moon by Nick Kollerstrom but are having to wait a week or two for delivery.
If any member of the forum has a copy of this book, can i be cheeky and ask when is the best time this month to plant potatoes and broad beans.(broad beans are shop brought are well established, though i understand  this makes no difference, the transfer of the plant to the final bed is all that matters).If any other veg are best sown during this months moon phases, i would be most grateful for the info. x

Aunt Sally, I didn't take the trouble to read all the high lighted posts, because that doesn't answer the 'specific' questions in the post above. Posting links is easy and a huge waste of time for those that don't just want ' LOADS of information and discussion' again AIMHO

No offence intended

Cheers

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:46 »
I haven't tried out moon planting however the following link tells you what you should be planting for the rest of the month:

http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/Moon_Planting.asp

Although I haven't tried it I do have an open mind and I'd be interested to hear from people who have tried moon planting v conventional planting and what the results were.

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:53 »
Hi pol & mick ...  which one are you ?? !!  :roll:  :lol:

I use the link greg put up too :D  and as a quick reference I find it very helpful ... the veg listed for a specific day also have hyper-links for more info!!  :tongue2:

Let me know how you get on!!  :wink:
Flo  :D
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:00 »
gregmcalister you have my thanks, thats a very interesting site, with a very useful planting guide.

Cheers

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 12:53 »
Quote from: "spud"

Aunt Sally, I didn't take the trouble to read all the high lighted posts, because that doesn't answer the 'specific' questions in the post above. Posting links is easy and a huge waste of time for those that don't just want ' LOADS of information and discussion' again AIMHO

No offence intended

Cheers

Sorry spud,  missunderstand there no offence taken :D

The members who have been here a long time won't want to discuss it again I'm sure, but there are lots of new members who might  :!:

It's a topic that comes up frequently  :wink:

noshed

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 14:51 »
I plant by the days I have off.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Gwiz

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 17:38 »
Quote from: "noshed"
I plant by the days I have off.

me too! :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 18:34 »
If my memory serves correct (that'll be a miracle) it was King Cauli who was really into it, I suggest searching the author, you may find the info there, however it was proven beyond doubt it made no difference, a lot of members trialed it along side there normal sowing/planting.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Moon planting

Started by devonbarmygardener on Grow Your Own

61 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 20:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
planting by the light of the moon

Started by king cauli on Grow Your Own

118 Replies
Last post February 06, 2007, 13:35
by John
xx
Kew on BBC2,planting by the moon

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 07:43
by shaun
xx
Planting by the phases of the moon???

Started by Dotty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 15:11
by Spana

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 31 queries.