Quick growing shrub - ideas please

• 3 Replies

Pullet

« on: April 15, 2008, 15:06 »
Hi,

Just planning the garden to accommodate new hen house (first timer & can't wait to get them!) and need a shrub that is fairly quick growing to shield the back of the hen house from the road and the attentions of some locals (we're between two pubs!).

I don't want to plant anything that will be harmful to the chooks or make the eggs taste funny if they eat it. Suggestions please.

Thanks.

jack russell

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 15:29 »
thats easy  :D    hops :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 15:51 »
:wink:

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 15:54 »
I had the same problem in the aviary..something hardy that the peacocks wouldn't mess with! I put in a little conifer...they've left that alone, a couple of eleagnus (they use it round car parks and it's tough and grows fast, plus it has tiny white flowers you can hardly see but they smell gorgeous....) but they ate the eleagnus bare! The most sucessful has been Photinia Red Robin, it looks lovely, grows fast and the birds don't touch it...well apart from the odd disaster when they land on a soft branch!! Why not try a few shrubs that you can get cheap from the supermarket, then if they aren't a sucess, nothing much lost! Hawthorn, blackthorn, beech and other native hedge plants would be good but depends if you want year round cover as they're deciduous although the beech will hold the dead leaves so still provide cover throughout winter. What about a few rosa rugosa in between? As most people with free-ranging birds will tell you, they're unlikely to eat anything poisonous if there's plenty of good stuff around!

Happy planting!

Judi

wireless
Quick growing plants for chickens to eat?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 22:29
by joyfull
xx
Quick ACS Q

Started by JaK on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 15:03
by kegs
xx
OK how quick are you?

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 02:17
by nettynoodles1
xx
Quick one

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 16:02
by lightyears

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 29 queries.