I'm so sad...

• 26 Replies

Captain_Dingbat

I'm so sad...
« on: April 08, 2008, 21:56 »
SOMETHING has killed some of my chickens early evening.

I went home to pick something up, as the chickens were making their way back to their sheds, and I hopped into the field.and there was splodge, a ####eral my son had raised from an egg, hes a light sussex. He's alive, just, but Popcorn, a large buff op, shes dead, after laying her 2nd egg of her life today. I have no clue where Grenade or Marshmellow are, i'm prayin they are roosting in a tree somewhere.

Thing is, the batteries and Neville and Harold were in their shed.roosting.untouched.and thankgod my bantams and chicks were in an enclosed run because they are smaller.

My husband, who grew up on a farm, thinks its a large dog, the way the chicken had been shaken about, hes doubtful its a fox.BUT tomorrow evening we are gonna go down.and wait. If its a fox, its days are numbered. I think its more likely to be someones dog as the field runs alongside a bridle track and its ALWAYS got dog walkers on it, none are ever on leads, and I had to tell someone before about letting their dog in my field.

RIP Popcorn.

I don't think Splodge will survive the night, but I made him comfortable, and as i say, I hope Marshmellow and Grenade are hiding in a tree somewhere.

Animals cause you terrible grief, thing is, my sons at his dads, what do I tell him? I'm glad he didnt see it.I cried.and i'm crying now. You work hard to take care of your animals and this happens.

My husbands just gone back down, he's going to bring splodge home if he's still alive..........

mumsy

I'm so sad...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 22:00 »
So sorry to hear your news, Splodge may make it...lets hope so, don't envy you having to tell your son, best of luck. xxxxxx

babe

• elvis king of chooks
I'm so sad...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 22:06 »
big hugs xxx

smiler43

• Experienced Member
I'm so sad...
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 22:08 »
:( So sorry to hear that, BIG HUGS xx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I'm so sad...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 22:11 »
:cry: so sorry  :cry:

Captain_Dingbat

I'm so sad...
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 22:12 »
i can't stop crying! i love my chickens!

:(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I'm so sad...
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 22:17 »
I know exactly how you feel.  The funny little things get right into your heart  :cry:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
I'm so sad...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 22:20 »
aww dingbat xx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
I'm so sad...
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 22:22 »
Oh I am sorry dingbat!  It's awful when you lose something you love, but unfortunately these things do happen, but its not easy!  We are all thinking about you Big hugs from me too!!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
I'm so sad...
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 22:38 »
it's horrible times like this  :(
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Poolfield2

I'm so sad...
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 22:56 »
Soooo sorry to hear your news, thinking of you. :(

pookey

• Experienced Member
I'm so sad...
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 23:04 »
So sorry, a pack of hunting dogs got my chickens a while ago, my 2 year old son saw them get ripped apart on our drive.  He is now terrified of foxes and wolves in nursery rhymes and fairy tales.  I tried to tell him that the chickens had gone on holiday but he said 'naughty dogs broke them on the floor'.  It was awfull, I sobbed for days.  I replaced the chickens and he rarely mentions them now.  Depending on the age of your son you could replace it or make an elaborate story - gone to find a chicken family of his own, gone travelling or just say sometimes cockerals become independant and leave.  

I really hope you find your other girls. 2 of mine were missing.  1 came by the back door while the dogs were out the front and I grabbed him quick.  Jessie turned up 6 days later in a neighbours garden accross the road.  Just dont give up hope.
Avoid fruit and nuts.  You are what you eat.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
I'm so sad...
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 23:13 »
Im so so sorry to hear that
hugs and more hugs for you
xxxxxxx
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

agapanthus

I'm so sad...
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 23:18 »
That is really horrible.......I hope your chook survives...they can be very strong....my braveheart survived a terrible attack from an irish wolfhound...let's hope Splodge can weather this. Big hugs from me.

Captain_Dingbat

I'm so sad...
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 23:54 »
Well, we just got back from the field....and I think Splodge is gonna be ok! My husband (ex-farmer) is adamant its a dog attack....hes seen it like it before. The rest of the chickens are un-touched........

Whats the law on that, if a dog was attacking your chickens, are you within your rights to shoot it?

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 29 queries.