Pakchoi

• 5 Replies

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
Pakchoi
« on: April 06, 2008, 13:22 »
I have thinned them out in their seed tray, and they have packed on quite a bit of growth this week so they really need to be put out in a bed. Is it safest to put them out in the greenhouse or can they go outside - I want to grow them to a decent size, not use them for salads.
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

compostqueen

Pakchoi
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 13:27 »
they are a cold weather plant I reckon but they bolt easily (down side to them). I sow them direct outside, I've even overwintered some on the plot.  You'll need to harden them off if you've raised them indoors, so move them to the cold greenhouse, and then outside, when it's not snowing that is, so they harden off before going in the ground.

I've never grown them indoors before, preferring to sow them out on the plot  :D

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
Pakchoi
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 13:36 »
thankyou CQ, our greenhouse where they have been growing is unheated, will they still need hardening off ?
I've inherited  a couple of polytunnel cloches, will they like that or should we just plant them straight out, no messing about ?

compostqueen

Pakchoi
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 13:40 »
yeah I think they'll need hardening off. You can put them outside during the day if it's not snowing or freezing.    They are quite cold tolerant but more so having been sown direct, yours will be a bit tender yet probably  :D

dumpling

Pakchoi
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 14:36 »
That is good news - I always thought Pak Choi were a bit exotic
and tender so start them off later rather than sooner, and I've
never done well with them.

I'll treat em a bit harder this year - thanks. Learn something
every day here  :)

Alex 98

Pak choi
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 20:23 »
Grew these last year, late, Mid July planted sedlings out, they did really well :tongue2: Put the purple ones in a bit too late, late August, they didn't heart up but were good for salad :? Definately doing them again on Plot 98 his year. :) They like a well draining soil. Best to get them to grow quickly if you can.

Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 28 queries.