Protection from Rabbits & birds?????

• 4 Replies

vineweevil1

• Experienced Member
« on: April 04, 2008, 09:54 »
We are putting our first things (oinions and garlic) into our first allotment on sat. We have a problem with Rabbits on our allotments and won't be able to fence of our plot for a few weeks.

So, do I need to protect the garlic & oinions from the rabbits yet, or will it only be when they poke through? (Hope to have it fenced off beginning-middle may when back from hols)

also, do we need to protect the garlic from the birds?

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:05 »
blackbirds pluck shallots and onions out the ground so make sure they're just covered with soil when you plant them. If they get hoiked out you can replant them. You could cover them with net or fleece etc til they get established, same with garlic. I've not had problems with my garlic, maybe they don't like the smell or taste. Careful if using net though, keep it taut as birds die in nets on lotties every year

purplebean

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 11:55 »
I watched a blackbird trying to dig up my elephant garlic yesterday, thankfully he moved onto another bit of the bed before managing it. I have fleece over the otehr bed as that is the preferred toilet for one of next door's cats  :evil:

Glen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:12 »
I have not had a problem with mt Garlic and its going great guns. However, i have protected my Carrots and Cabbages. See the pics below.

MoreWhisky

Re: Protection from Rabbits & birds?????
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 15:39 »
Went to my pot today and right in the middle of the row of garlic noticed one with only 2 inches of growth  left sticking out the ground.

Didnt realise anything would want my garlic , what ever it was only wanted one and the one that was in the middle to.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

lamp
Protection from Rabbits

Started by Daamoot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 07, 2012, 17:43
by anatomick
xx
Rabbits mice or birds ??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2020, 08:47
by Hampshire Hog
xx
protection

Started by slowcompost on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2007, 12:28
by WG.
xx
Protection!!

Started by iamnew on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 22:08
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 36 queries.