New plot going slowly - Morale dipping...

• 34 Replies

compostqueen

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 10:56 »
I didn't like that book at all  :(   Most of it was pictures of veg but I didn't like the fact that she didn't even seem to like the plot or doing stuff on it.  
Maybe it's just me  :D

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 11:05 »
I have had mine for just over a year... still much to do - effectively only growing on half the area at the moment as it was too much to do in one year but I did managed to dig it all over bit by bit in year 1... secret is patience, don't expect to be super productive in 1 year - especially from an overgrown plot.  I have only just got round to putting a small tool shed on my plot after 15 months.  Last year grew runners and potatoes... and mangetout and sweetcorn ... tried toms and courgettes but not a good year for them!!  So will be doing toms at home this year where its more sheltered and less blight.  I used glyphosate to keep the weeds down esp nettles and tall grasses so at least it as bad to my fellow allotmenteers and the council!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

compostqueen

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 11:30 »
I managed lots of veg in my first year.  I was amazed at what I grew. The stuff I put into storage, eg spuds, shallots, onions, garlic and pumpkins was just a bonus that I'd not even thought about.  You can use containers don't forget if you've not got loads of plot available to grow in.   I got three builders rubble sacks and filled them with compostibles and manure and grew in those, laid on top of black sheet mulch so the weeds were being supressed at the same time.  Sowed salads in boxes and baskets etc.

gin3268

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 02:27 »
Thanks Guys,

The conscience says run , the head says walk, the heart says patience and the body says 'whenever'.
It'll all come good over time, it's just that the initial let down by the gung ho person who was to help on the allotment has left a disappointed taste.

I'll just be happy when the delicious wafts of flavour float over the garden wall into her house, when I end up cooking all the lovely produce that I grew.

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 22:21 »
plod on quietly, take photos - they will show you how you are getting - think about setting up a blog or perhaps a paper diary logging your progress, my Dad has a page a day diary and logs everything, the weather, what he's planted, what is growing, what's not and anything else he feels is important to his seven plots  :lol:  I go for the blog version and post lots of photos  :lol:

clip
slowly growing

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 11:42
by J_B
xx
Slowly losing the will to live! :(

Started by mischiefbec on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 18:29
by Brassica Blaz
xx
seeds growing very slowly

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 09:32
by John
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 28 queries.