New plot going slowly - Morale dipping...

• 34 Replies

richiechivz

« on: March 31, 2008, 15:14 »
Well Ive had my first allotment plot for over a month now. Its 7 perch and very overgrown. Mainly vast amount and tall Couch grass, and at the top a load of over overgrown bramble (Which are still hiding a double compost bin). Ive cleared about a quarter of it. Managed to put in two rows of early potato, and almost got another bed for the beans to go in next month. Ive been skimming the suface of the plot, and so far it seems to be working. After Ive skimmed an area, I can fork it over and pull out any big roots I find. However, its hard going. I do not want to use chemicals, but I stood on the plot on Sunday, after 4 hours hard graft, slowly getting further up the plot., and almost gave in. I hope my spuds come through pretty soon, I need something to keep my morale up!

Anyway, just needed to get it off my chest really. Hope all the other new plot holders are hanging in there too!

Rich

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 15:19 »
I would say strim as much of the grass as you can, buy some weed proof fabric and cover the part of the plot that you're not going to work just now.  Concentrate on growing a smaller area just now and when you do lift the fabric after a few months you'll notice the nice bare earth underneath.  I do this all the time now and it has saved so much work.

noshed

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 15:21 »
Don't worry Ritchie - when you see things growing which aren't weeds it will be all worthwhile. I think we all go through that stage at one time or another, just concentrate on getting a few bits done and you will beat it gradually.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
Re: New plot going slowly - Morale dipping...
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 15:30 »
Quote from: "richiechivz"
Well Ive had my first allotment plot for over a month now. Its 7 perch and very overgrown. Mainly vast amount and tall Couch grass, and at the top a load of over overgrown bramble
Rich

Unfortunately its the stuff under the ground with Couch that you have to worry about :(

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 16:35 »
You need a brush cutter for a day like a strimmer only a metal blade That will take everything down Try to separate it into 2 piles compostable and non compostable  then burn the non-compostable pile chuck the rest and the ash from the fire in the compost bin

Then I'm afraid it's digging
but at least you will be able to see what you are working with

Good Luck and don't get down hearted  Dig a bit at a time and get something planted for encoragement
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

crowndale

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 16:41 »
I was a trifle disheartened myself today and I have taken over a relatively easy plot!  Dug one trench for spuds but couldn't do any more because my back was hurting, so decided to lightly fork over the pea bed as I'd walked on it puttin up the rabbit proof barrier and wanted to plant the peas for march that I have on my 'to do' list only to find the ground too sodden, so its a few more days/weeks before the peas go in.  but on the bright side I planted out some broad beans (grown in pots) so i do at least have one row of non weed greenery and my guess is that around half the plot is now dug over even if not planted out yet and most stuff will be going in may/june anyway.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

wurzelrob70

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 16:48 »
I was exactly where you are back in December and now have just about got things to where I want them, but I must admit it was a bit touch and go at times. I could have very easily given up some days but just think of all the lovely tasting veg you will be sitting down to for years to come and hopefully that will give you the incentive you need to carry on. :)
Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you.
But the roses are wilting, the violets are dead, the sugar bowl's empty, and so is your head.

gus

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 19:08 »
Don't get down and you will win through. :(  My plot was so overgrown when i got it that the council said i could have the first year free. :shock:  It was hard work but my soil is in really good shape now and i get some great fruit and veg.  :D You will too, just pace yourself and keep focused. Good luck. :)
computer illiterate, a one finger typist but doggedly determined to keep up with this new technology and use it to help me on my allotment.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 19:22 »
1 year ago I got my plot and it was VERY hard going.. Partic when I was trying to dig and we had that baking sun in April last year and the soil was like concrete. This year the whole plot is weed free and the soil is fantastic due to horse manure being dug in late last year.. well rotorvated in :)

Don't worry it will get there... at least you have something in already. Seriously forget about not using chemicals, roundup is your friend, in my opinion that is, otherwise I would have cracked up :lol:

bimbler

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 19:49 »
I'm in a similar position beutiful soil full of twitch, bindweed, dock, nettles and dandelion two seconds to turn the sod two minutes to pick out the weed roots. progress is very slow and it is hard to keep morale up but  it'll be worth it when that first veg comes in.
GOOD FOOD, GOOD WINE, GOOD COMPANY

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 20:00 »
For 3 years I nearly gave up, had a jungle, but not now, it is worth it, I am already looking forward to those fresh vege's, mouth watering with the thought of those first beets, tats and the sweetcorn on the bbq. Keep at it the spuds will be through soon.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

MARROW HEAD

KEEP IT UP!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 20:05 »
Remember, the more effort you put in now, the less of the weeds you will see next year. When i first started i didn't do very much weeding, so, the year after, i had 10 times more weeds. But last year i weeded very thougherly, and i have had very little weed to worry about.

andy a

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 20:11 »
Rich,

don't be too hard on yourself. I have had a jungle for a couple of years now. started off with a sprint but slowly i began to loose my enthusiasm. I have had to concertrate on half of the plot because it was taking so long to clear, that i wasn't keeping up with the planting/sowing & genaral weeding. In short it became a chore more that a pleasure.

This year i have taken a step back & covered the uncleared half with heavy plastic sheeting. Hopefully i will be able to enjoy working on the original half this season.

in short take pleasure in what you have achived & tackle the rest when you feel like it.

fatbelly

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 20:29 »
Rich,
I got my plot last May and it was covered in Couch, Dock and Mares tail.
I really do mean covered. It has taken me the best part of 8 months to clear the whole plot (100 x 16 ft). I had to cover part of the plot with heavy black tarpaulin type stuff which killed  / weakened the weeds until I was ready to dig them out. Twice last year once in September and again in October I thought of giving up because it was just taking me ages. But I kept going and now I am so glad I did.
My plot is now weed free  :?: and I am ready for the season to start.

Keep going just do it bit by bit and all of a sudden you will find that you are at the end.

Regards FB
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

crackedflowerpots

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 20:29 »
its nearly always hard going at first but a few years down the line you'll be leaning on your fork, telling a new lottie owner  that yours used to be a mess but with a bit of hard graft for a year or 2 he could have one as good as  :D yours!
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

clip
slowly growing

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 11:42
by J_B
xx
Slowly losing the will to live! :(

Started by mischiefbec on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 18:29
by Brassica Blaz
xx
seeds growing very slowly

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 09:32
by John
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 36 queries.