Fish Blood and Bone measure?

• 5 Replies

richiechivz

« on: March 26, 2008, 13:44 »
Hello all,

I'm going to give my potato bed a scattering of Fish, Blood and bone before I put the spuds in within the next week. Firstly, is this ok or am I missing the point with fertilising my potato bed?

Secondly, my bed is 12ft by 6ft. If my calculations are right, I should scatter this area with 560g of the stuff?

As a newbie to growing, my knowledge of fertilisers is pretty low - am I way off with this?

Thanks

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 14:18 »
No problem with blood and bone, to be honest I just scatter till it looks right, never had a problem yet. the way I do mine is dig the trench, line it with straw and shredded paper, plonk tats on that, back fill to cover tat, then a layer of compost about 4 inch thick, then a layer of soil, then fertilizer then mound. Then once the shoots appear and the annual weed is germinating knock the mound down carefully and rebuild, this kills the weeds.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Hazel Anne

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 14:19 »
I cant help,,,,i am new to veggie growing too,i sprinkled my big tub of the stuff on the plot and now my doggie has become agraphobic,,,,,,,,she wont go in the garden,,i think she can smell a blood bath!!!!!!!!!!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 14:31 »
:lol:   my dog used to lick it, and dig me plants up if I'd added bonemeal at planting time. Dug up a lovely new clematis so I gave up using it  :D

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 15:08 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
No problem with blood and bone, to be honest I just scatter till it looks right, never had a problem yet. the way I do mine is dig the trench, line it with straw and shredded paper, plonk tats on that, back fill to cover tat, then a layer of compost about 4 inch thick, then a layer of soil, then fertilizer then mound. Then once the shoots appear and the annual weed is germinating knock the mound down carefully and rebuild, this kills the weeds.

are you 'aving a giraffe? I dig a trench and stick the spuds in and then cover them. tada :)
Except this year I have manure over the plot.
What does the straw do? I have a bail of hay (or is it straw) for my chucks and have 80% of it left.. so worth using it for my spuds then ?? and worth using blood/bone even though I have it manured this year??

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 19:42 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
Quote from: "Aidy"

are you 'aving a giraffe? I dig a trench and stick the spuds in and then cover them. tada :)
Except this year I have manure over the plot.
What does the straw do? I have a bail of hay (or is it straw) for my chucks and have 80% of it left.. so worth using it for my spuds then ?? and worth using blood/bone even though I have it manured this year??

:lol:  the straw and paper help to retain the moisture down below, then as the tats grow they are fed along the way where they need it. irish man told me that, apart from the re-mounding and a very nice lady off here told me that one.

xx
blood fish and bone???

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 15:40
by gavinjconway
xx
blood fish and bone??

Started by fisher on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 19:02
by viettaclark
xx
blood fish and bone

Started by david dill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 26, 2008, 19:42
by DANNY
xx
Fish blood and bone

Started by amurdin on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 13:55
by Daamoot

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 30 queries.