rotavate or not

• 17 Replies

neil1967

rotavate or not
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:59 »
To speed up getting my plot ready can i rotavate it even though it has couch/dock and brambles or will this just cause me more problems later on?

If it is o.k to rotavate will it be best to skim off the top growth or just mix it in.

Neil

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
rotavate or not
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:20 »
Downside rotavating will chop it all up giving you loads more weeds  :(
Upside rotavating will break up the soil making it easier to weed, plant, hoe etc, repeated rotavating will kill all weeds eventually.

Me, I tend to spray off with roundup wait for a fortnight or so and the weeds are starting to die then rotovate.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

shaun

rotavate or not
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:24 »
its not a straight yes or no answer neil,there's a few things to look at like how much couch/docks and brambles there is,you need to remove as much as you can by hand,if it was dry I would say have a fire and burn the lot down to the ground  8) ,but at this time of year your best is to strim it down and remove by hand,
then its the soil has been dug over recently or is it compact because unless you have a big rotavator you will be pissing into the wind,the average size machine will just bounce of it and you will injure yourself or even worse damage the rotavator. :wink:
once you have it turned over and rotavated at full depth you will need to keep doing it but only the top couple of inches to kill any new growth of weeds etc
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
rotavate or not
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:27 »
Rotovating - quick to break soil surface up so you can get in and get to all those couch grass roots but downside is all the beneficial worms you kill with each pass of those blades....I personally am going the long and painful route on my new plot and doing the dig n weed by hand version.....it's what makes gardening so worth while ;). also rotovating, so I was informed, at a family run gardening centre a couple of weeks back, compacts the soil under the surface if it is used too much....think the terminology used was soil plateau or something like that.

compostqueen

rotavate or not
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:13 »
Non-rotovator here. Can't stand the blooming noise they make.  The guys on my site know this and torment me for months with the damn things  :D
When they want peace and quiet though they come to my plot  :D

Leapyear

rotavate or not
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:41 »
Have to agree with the majority,best to dig and hand clear the plot first,also gives you the chance to see whats lurking in the soil....ie;wireworms etc :evil:
Plus.......... my bl**dy rotovator is still not working :cry:
Out of the south cometh the whirlwind....out of the north the cold!

shaun

rotavate or not
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 11:51 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
Non-rotovator here. Can't stand the blooming noise they make.  The guys on my site know this and torment me for months with the damn things  :D
When they want peace and quiet though they come to my plot  :D

mine purrs like a rolls royce  :wink:

compostqueen

rotavate or not
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 11:53 »
nah, monotonous drone  :D

Stripey_cat

rotavate or not
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 13:11 »
I'd not rotovate.  All those long roots wrap themselves around the axle, and you spend more time cleaning the damn thing than using it.  Also, wear goggles - I got an inch-long bit of muddy nettle root in my eye, and nothing but the dew on the grass to wash it out with!

Peterjohn

rotavate or not
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 15:24 »
Could not even keep my section up without a rotavator, I use a honda so the engine is quiet compared to other machines.The plot I work is approx 160 mtrs x 10 mtrs wide, so the thought of using a fork I dont think I would get to the end before the weeds would have started at the other end. I also use the machine to keep the weeds down on my plot, you hardly ever see any weeds on my section.

Peter

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
rotavate or not
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 16:24 »
Never seen a rotovator on my site !

There are quite a few non-diggers there now,  but I love digging (or rather getting Worzel to do it) :lol:

shaun

rotavate or not
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 17:29 »
ive posted these pics before from last year but it just shows how a rotavator can do a brilliant job in a very short time,ok I don't do raised beds its just plain simple effortless gardening

spread muck on top of the soil

and turn it in with the rotavator  8)

and the same bit of plot a few months later looking the other way

gobs

rotavate or not
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 17:46 »
Very nice. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
rotavate or not
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 20:44 »
I have used mine to great effect last year, but I still dig, I would do a pass then get the fork in to remove everything I could and continue to fork, then rotovate again, I use a tiller as a mechanical hoe which makes very light work of weeding between rows. I agree with everyones answer, I dont use it a lot now as it kills the worms big time (unless they have big ears like Shauns so they hear him coming) but my plot is weed free all but the anuals and this is down to the rotovator. I would probably go over it 3 times a year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
rotavate or not
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 20:46 »
Nice Shaun, but I'd watch out some one with a flat bed truck's gonna nik your mantis  :wink:

xx
To rotavate or not to rotavate

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 22:07
by Beetroot queen
xx
rotavate or dig?

Started by jaws on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 12:14
by Yorkie
xx
To Rotavate or Not?

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 08:45
by mikem
xx
Can I rotavate grass into the soil on my allotment?

Started by km76 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 21:11
by DD.

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 36 queries.