allotment etiquette

• 23 Replies

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
allotment etiquette
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 19:26 »
Several people on our site also have lawns and even outdoor toys for thier kids to play with while they do their allotment :D

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
allotment etiquette
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 12:53 »
I don't see anything wrong in growing flowers,  In fact I think an allotment should be a good mix of allsorts flowers,veg, fruit and live stock if allowed and practical. Above all it's down to the individual and what they want to grow. I'll be growing flowers next year already planted Daffs for cutting and will repeat the Dahlias probably add xthans all as cut flower.  One end of the plot is hard to work because of the wy the fence is supported all sort of short bays so I'll fill them up with perenials and shrubs for colour (keeps the weeds from growing  :lol: )
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

snozzer

• Experienced Member
allotment etiquette
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 09:41 »
There is a retired couple up the road from me, who have 4 plots between them (not a problem here, more plots than people want) and they grow cut flowers and do hanging baskets etc.  The sell them from about May onwards and save the money up.  On or around the 1st of December they pack up and go to Goa (it used to be Spain, but they have decided they like the indians better than the Spanish), not returning until 1st week of March.  Their whole Spring/Summer and Autumn is spent making moeny from their allotment to escape the British winter, well done them I say.
As guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo

tomato-joy

allotment etiquette
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 17:21 »
I'm glad that there's such support for flowers! i was very keen, but have heard a few stories from the 'oldies' about how they have frowned on flowers.

of course, I've become incredibly ambitious for my little half plot, so will be squeezing them in. I'm lucky enough to have a greenhouse (and will grow sunflowers up the side of that) and a shed (and will grow a passion flower over that!)

Sigh, maybe sweetcorn is too ambitious for your first year...

Am desperately scanning the skies for what looks like a clear day on friday or saturday so that I can build my composter.  :D
trying to be organic...

milkman

allotment etiquette
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 17:44 »
sweetcorn is one of the most rewarding crops you can grow and well worth the effort - there is almost nothing to compare the taste of your own freshly picked perfectly ripened cobs lightly steamed and served with dash of butter and black pepper.  Start them off 1 seed to a pot / rootrainer cell, transplant them a ruler+1/2 apart in blocks when they are about 7 inches tall (but not next to anyone else's crop), protect them from the wind until well established, then stand back and watch them grow.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
allotment etiquette
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 18:42 »
We have a few who live in flats so use there plots as country gardens and they love it, the new  commitee have been asking about what the plots sholud be used for so I am thinking someone has complained about this, personaly I think the enjoyment is growing what you want, we pay the rent and there is nothing in the rules. we are still not allowed to sell any produce, if caught we are kicked off, I thought a new bylaw was coming into force allowing us to  sell but I have not heard the outcome.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
allotment etiquette
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 18:57 »
I think you should be able to do what you want, even grow flowers (shudder) if you want.
Selling things off the plot I'm not so sure about - fine line between hobby and commercial.  Like a lot of things, a rule available but not usually enforced is probably right way to go.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

allotment etiquette
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2006, 23:10 »
i think that selling off the plots was banned in the first allotment rules and regulations in the allotment act to stop commercial entereprise from taking the ground over
still alive /............

wellingtons

I think it's absolutely fine ...
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 13:35 »
... I grow flowers on mine.  I have marigolds, nasturtiums and tagetes dotting about for companion planting and I also have a wild flower patch, well it's only wild because I don't do much with it!  But it's beautiful, and attracts bees and buzzy things ...  :D

I know on our plots you're not allowed to sell anything produced on the allotment, or at least you're not supposed to.  I think you need to check the rules for your plot because you don't want to do something which puts you at risk of being bounced off!

xx
Allotment Etiquette?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 13:04
by Smudgeboy
xx
Mares tail, neighbours and allotment etiquette

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 24, 2007, 12:27
by Aidy
xx
MY ALLOTMENT

Started by smiler on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2008, 17:04
by gobs
xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2015, 17:47
by cadalot

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 28 queries.