Raspberries

• 33 Replies

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 09:21 »
I planted 5 autumn fruiting raspberries (Joan J) and 5 summer (Glen Ample) late last autumn. The Glen Ample have tiny little buds appearing on the 'sticks' that are poking out but nothing is happening with the Joan J. I think I was meant to cut them both down really short when I planted them... but forgot  :oops:  Should anything be happening yet? Have I ruined it all by not chopping them right down back in autumn? Will buds not appear on the Joan J at all as someone mentioned they fruited on new canes - so should I be looking for new bits sprouting up next the old 'stick' bit? Sorry - loads of probably stooopid questions!

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 10:16 »
Puravida: just about can still plant them and unless cut back they shall fruit in first year, any later, probably won't fruit much, but they will fruit better from next season.

Compo: you need the suckers for next years fruit, the old canes won't bear any. I doubt you could stop them though they will just come up far away, amongst you other stuff.

Muddywellies: you still can cut down your autumn ones to about 1-2 inches from ground, the summer ones the old canes will be brittle, woody you lose them, the fresh young ones you leave alone.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sanuka

Raspberries
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 12:53 »
What about position? would you plant them in the middle of the plot between the other beds (current plan) or near the back next to the fruit trees?

I thought middle would be best due to sun but have just read they're better if 'sheltered' ??

Thanks again.

mabel

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 13:50 »
Probably a stupid question but is it possible to grow raspberries from seed?  I have not seen any canes to buy on the island and obviously cannot ask anyone to smuggle a few in when they visit (dont really want to be visiting them in clink)   If this is possible where can I buy the seed or can I just get seed from a fresh raspberry (they do sell them here in punnets in season).

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 16:03 »
Yes, that's how some new varieties come about. You won't much know what you are getting and if you don't get some winter they might not do too well, but worth a try if you like them.

I would not bother with individual seeds, just saw the fruit somewhere shady and hope for best. :wink:

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 16:04 »
Quote from: "sanuka"
What about position? would you plant them in the middle of the plot between the other beds (current plan) or near the back next to the fruit trees?

I thought middle would be best due to sun but have just read they're better if 'sheltered' ??

Thanks again.

I would put them near the fruit trees.

mabel

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 16:16 »
Thanks Mogs, It does get quite cold here in the winter (December, January) gets down to about 2 or 3 degrees and last month we had one night when it was -4.  I think that was very unusual though.  Would that be cold enough.  sorry to be a pain but would you just put the whole raspberry in say a pot and leave  it in the shade? :?

mabel

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 16:17 »
sorry, meant Gobs in that last post. :oops:

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 16:24 »
And I meant sow. :lol:

Yes, go for it! I'd probably let them be a bit overly ripe and gently mash with fingers and let dry a bit on a paper towel or similar and in the ground/pot if you like and plant out later, easier to notice if anything came up.

Mind that I never have done this, but would guess, the seed might need a cold period to germinate, so could come up in the spring, after the autumn scattering about. But you can just dry them in the fridge for a couple of days and then sow.

Come back later, too, someone might have done it before. :)

mabel

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 16:34 »
thanks, I'll keep my eye on it and try what you say as soon as I can get any raspberries. :D

compo

• Experienced Member
    • west end cleaning
Raspberries
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 16:38 »
Compo: you need the suckers for next years fruit, the old canes won't bear any. I doubt you could stop them though they will just come up far away, amongst you other stuff.

Cheers gobs. This is my first year with fruit. How do you do the runners then? Do you just let them grow as they want, or do you need to train them?
Cheers
Politicians are like nappies - they need changing for the same reason

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 18:55 »
Quote from: "mabel"
thanks, I'll keep my eye on it and try what you say as soon as I can get any raspberries. :D

This guy has

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 18:57 »
Quote from: "compo"

Cheers gobs. This is my first year with fruit. How do you do the runners then? Do you just let them grow as they want, or do you need to train them?
Cheers

Suckers. You just let them be. I assume these are summer raspb, when finished fruiting, you cut these old canes out near ground level(an inch or so), sorted. The new ones will fruit next summer.

mabel

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 19:31 »
Brilliant Gobs, thanks for that.  I'll keep you posted. :D

gobs

Raspberries
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 21:19 »
You are most welcome and from his account we know that they do not need refrigerating.  That's useful, so just of you go when you get some and watch the weather to keep them cool and I really would not bother with sieving them about, a bit of dried flesh won't do any harm. :wink:

Looking forward to great results. :)

clip
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2018, 20:49
by oldgrunge
xx
Raspberries

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 21:20
by Armleywhite
xx
Raspberries

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 21:17
by Matthew Gayles
xx
Raspberries

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 21:36
by sclarke624

Page created in 1.574 seconds with 36 queries.