Why won't my cabbages heart up?

• 13 Replies

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« on: March 08, 2008, 17:29 »
I am in my third year on the allotment and have consistently failed to grow summer or winter cabbages from seed or plants. Each time they have produced very healthy looking plants that are a mass of loose leaves and no heart. The only mild success was a couple of very small and miserable looking red cabbages last year. I have tried several varieties, Greyhound and Autumn King come to mind, but I think the ones in the ground now, since about August when I bought them as plants, are Tundra.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

gobs

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 18:15 »
Oh, I thought it was just this year's late lot as for a lot of us, I blame the no summer.

But generally is different. :shock:  They are said not to heart up in shade and kalium sulphate can help with hearting, have no other idea. Never before had the problem , so do not know if it does work, but worth a try.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mkhenry

Re: Why won't my cabbages heart up?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 18:24 »
Quote from: "Ian_P"
I am in my third year on the allotment and have consistently failed to grow summer or winter cabbages from seed or plants. Each time they have produced very healthy looking plants that are a mass of loose leaves and no heart. The only mild success was a couple of very small and miserable looking red cabbages last year. I have tried several varieties, Greyhound and Autumn King come to mind, but I think the ones in the ground now, since about August when I bought them as plants, are Tundra.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

One of the main reasons for brassicas failing to heart up,  is failing to plant them firmly enough.
When ever you plant a cabage etc always firm up the roots to stop them moving around at the base.  This makes them stonger on top as well as underground. There are other reasons but I am sure gobs will be along in a mo to tell you what some of them are. :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

gobs

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 18:30 »
Excuse me, I had my say already. :lol:

Could you stop picking on me, please. :lol:

shaun

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 18:58 »
they need lots of nitrogen to form a good tight heart it can be fixed with a feed sulphate of amonia
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Oliveview

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 20:38 »
I´ve had exactly the same problem, no idea of the variety of cabbage the garden center sold me, they just have cabbage plants! It took my cabbage around 3 months or more to get to the stage where I picked one tonight for tea.  It was tiny, only did the two of us. My neighbour, who bought the same cabbage plants (I took him to the garden centre with me) had a great crop, picked and eaten a good month and a half if not longer ago. The neighbour said it was due to my soil not being fertilised.  
Last year I grew my own plants, can´t remember the name, all I know is they were resistant to club root.  They were brilliant. Hope your cabbage heart up soon. Being as cabbage is the best veg ever not to get a decent plant is not good :cry:  :x  :(
Pamela

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 21:27 »
I'm having the same problem - I think that mine aren't firmed in enough so that, along with being too close together, seems to have stopped them from forming a nice solid heart.

Oh well.... that's another one to write down to experience - this years will be better  :D

Ann

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 23:46 »
I grew cabbages for the first time last year and had a good crop with Protovoy the small savoys (only two of use to use veg).  I was so pleased with the results I sowed spring cabbage Offenham2 however I am very disappointed as I have just a few loose leaves and no hearts to them.

peterjf

cabbages
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 00:11 »
hi there , sounds like your cabbages are in need of some good old manure , they also sound as they are suffering wind rock , are you plantingthe new cabbages almost to the first pair of leaves ? it also needs alittle sprinkling of chalkin autumn, october / november , to stop club root , maybe its club root ?

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 09:37 »
Thanks for all of that.

Here are some more details. My plot is in north Hampshire where we are on chalk about 18" down. Lime is not usually an issue, and hence club root neither.

I couldn't specifically say that these cabbage plots have been manured, but I have been adding mushroom compost to the beans area every year, and that has plenty of rotted horse manure and lime in it.

The plot faces south and has no shade at all.

Windrock could be a problem, they are enclosed in a pen made of scaffold netting to keep butterflies off. This is very closely woven, and should provide some shelter, but who knows.

I guess the only other thing to say is that the first piece of advice I saw on this site some years ago, was 'ask around your neighbors' and I notice that only two others out of 37 plots have any cabbages. Maybe I need to get friendly. :lol:

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 14:41 »
some of mine seem to be growing for ever so we just eat them before the slugs do , and they are lovley nice and sweet and not tough at all . could i
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

gobs

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 17:32 »
Getting friendly, never hurts. Please let us know if you find out something interesting and conlusive.

Just out of interest, are the rest of your brassica plants successful, especially cauliflower?

mercury

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 17:54 »
I go with mkhenry on this one, sprouts react the same when not firm enough :)  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 22:42 »
I have had good results with brassicas on my undug plot. I bung them in previously undug soil, just making a hole with a bulb planter and I think the firmness of the surrounding soil suits them. Me Minicoles were huge  :D

question
cabbages with no heart

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 23, 2019, 18:01
by rowlandwells
xx
why won't my cabbages heart?

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post September 28, 2007, 10:52
by muntjac
xx
New 'Lotties' take heart. Ta da da da - da da

Started by jingerpot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2006, 21:30
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Heart stopping moment

Started by Tugster on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 18:50
by WhippetMaster

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 28 queries.