Make-shift propogator - is this ok? (pics)

• 7 Replies

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
« on: March 05, 2008, 13:01 »
We've only got one propogator lid (bad planning i know lol), and i planted some more seeds last night and put them out in the greenhouse this morning.

OH found some old plastic in the shed, and i cut it to size to fit over the seed trays.

Is this ok?  :?

Also, i planted some broad beans and cabbage almost 4 weeks ago now, and they've not grown fantastically big yet! My sister took hers home (planted on the same day, same seeds etc) and hers are huge now! At least twice the size!

Do these look ok?  :?

I'm a bit worried about the seedlings with the make-shift propogator lids, as with some there's some gaps to the side, and on one it doesn't quite reach the end!

Will they be ok do you think?  :?

xxxx
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 13:06 »
cabbage and broad beans are tough and don't need covering to get them to germinate. You have to be aware of freezing temps though for less hardy seeds, and if they get too cold it will inhibit germination.  Your seed packets will have chapter and verse so do have a read for specific advice cos you didn't say what you'd sown

If your brassicas get leggy then they're ready for potting on. Broad beans looking good  :D

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 13:15 »
god my greenhouse is still full of dodo after the winter... but might  plant broad beans and early peas direct into the plot this weekend..

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 13:20 »
I think the plastic sheeting should be OK but don't let the new seedlings touch it - if it dries out they could get stuck on it and when you take it off you'll pull their little heads off!

B&Q sell clear seed tray lids for not very much - I bought a stack for mine and they're working a treat

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 13:38 »
See that's the thing.. i can't get anywhere until friday now. Really i shouldn't have planted anything til i got them, but i was so enthusiastic i couldn't wait  :roll:   :lol:

I was also thinking along the lines that as long as they don't actually touch the plastic it should be ok....

Well they won't have germinated until well after friday anyway, so i should be ok  :D

Compost Queen - i've planted more broad beans, sage, basil, celeriac, pumpkin, beetroot, leeks, peppers and cucumber.

Just as a little note of interest... i sowed them all last night, and left them on the kitchen worktop.

This morning i got up and a couple of the beetroot seeds, leek seeds and all of the cucumber (3) seeds had been dug up! On my worktop!!!  :shock:

So i reckon we must have a mouse in the house  :cry:  I'm such a wimp when it comes to mice etc.. and OH's working nights tonight and tomorrow.. i so hope i don't see one!!!  :shock:

Gotta get some traps now  :roll:  And disinfect EVERYTHING  :evil:

The thing was.. the cheeky b*gg*r ate the inside of two of the cucumber seeds and left the shells!!! Grrrrr  :evil:  The other one has just disappeared  :?   :roll:

Locksie

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 14:06 »
Hi Beki

Just wanted to say that your seedlings look fine to me - but then I'm no expert - just dead jealous that you're under way and I'm still waiting for the snow to clear!

As for the mice, little b*****s that they are, I can truely sympathise.  When we moved into our new home we were over-run by them.  Tried traps but they just kept coming back, so we invested in a plug-in electro-magnectic thing and hey-presto - they've all gone.  So far so good after six months.  They're not cheap (about £25) but well worth picking up dead furry bodies.

Good Luck
Gayle

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 15:37 »
I got seedlings in my shed window last year and the mice munched the lot then started on other stuff, eg my best lottying hat - ate a gert whole right through the front  :lol:  

Then we got mice in the house anorl, feasting on the bird seed which had come down the chimney. blooming wildlife  :D  Cleaning up after the little gits is a right pain cos they get everywhere  :roll:

Those placcy lids from B & Q also work upsidedown as trays if needs be  :D  I use em for watering

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 15:38 »
beki, it's what I'd do and they all look fine. Keep an eye on them though so that moisture doesn't land on the leaves and rot them. You could prop up the plastic with craft sticks (aka lolly sticks) or such for a bit more headroom. I find once they're about an inch tall it's better to take off the top and let them breathe until planting out time. You'll need to water more often but it keeps you watching them for potential problems. Your sis might be using a bit of transplant fertilizer in her watering can to boost her plant growth.
The lower level containers would get a big cooler so I'd leave the lids on a bit longer just for them.

xx
Shift Parsnip?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 17:07
by Russell Atterbury
xx
Veg gdn take tons of time! Any ideas for a 14hr shift worker

Started by MrsR on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2007, 21:58
by splodger
xx
When do i move them out of the propogator?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 20:08
by Martin
xx
propogator in greenhouse?

Started by beki on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 13:29
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 27 queries.