Slugs and Snails EVERYWHERE

• 28 Replies

Cavolo Hero

Slugs and Snails EVERYWHERE
« on: May 22, 2024, 16:10 »
I have honestly never seen so many slugs and snails all over the plot as I saw this morning.
They seem especially fond of eating all my onions and lilies!  :(

Anyone else experiencing a particularly slimy year?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

missmoneypenny

Re: Slugs and Snails EVERYWHERE
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 18:00 »
Just realised the birds have been eating white slug pellets. So I have put some blue ones down, I hope they won’t mistake them for food.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 09:56 »
It’s the dodgy weather the slugs love it and my seedlings!!
New pellets are hopeless against them this year
Keep digging

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2024, 12:07 »
I have honestly never seen so many slugs and snails all over the plot as I saw this morning.
They seem especially fond of eating all my onions and lilies!  :(

Anyone else experiencing a particularly slimy year?

Yep: onion, beans and squash plants totally devastated......

Marijke Jones

• Newbie on the veggie growing front
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2024, 18:05 »
I first put white slug killer down but that was eaten by magpies. I put blue ones down which work and are left alone by birds but dissolve quite quickly because of the rain. So I went into the garden with a bucket and rounded up all the slugs and snail I could find and it was an impressive amount and put a load of salt over them. And I keep on sprinkling blue colored slug killer. Luckily it’s only 4 euro for a can at our local pound shop.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2024, 21:34 »
Oh YES…

I have been delving through my flower bed this week (about 30 ft long by about 3 ft wide) and at a guess I’ve removed about 200 big slugs and snails.  Our present climate certainly suits them.

whaleroad

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 21:39 »
Today's death toll: one butternut squash, two cauliflower in the ground, two cauliflower still in pots, three dwarf bean, two potted dahlia, two planted out dahlia, one sprout.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 23:33 »
Perfect time to not allow effective slug killing pellets ?!

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 09:56 »
Oh dear, I’m sorry to hear of all the devastation!
We are currently in sunny Spain but know it was pouring yesterday back home so dread to think what it’s all going to be like when we get back  :ohmy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2024, 11:01 »
When the new pellets were first introduced someone on here (and forgive me but I can’t remember who) posted to say they needed to be used a bit differently to the old ones.

Use sparingly, but regularly and start before you plant up was the gist of it.  I have been doing this with scatterings across areas I intended to plant up for a week or 2 beforehand, then top up scatterings every few days afterwards.  So far, not so bad.  I have been using the blue ones.

It is also worth making sure your plot edges are cut if they are grass and that you keep weeds down so there is as little cover as possible.  If you have raised beds, patrol the edging boards and any other spots likely to provide a spot to nest up - piles of pots and the like.

My main casualties have been ornamental plants I potted up in the back garden at home, because I am very wary of using pellets anywhere the chickens could get to them.  Survival of the fittest here and a process of trying to select things that are not attractive to them  ::)

Anton

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2024, 19:04 »
My advice is to get six bottles of the strongest beer you can find. Triple Westmalle is one of the most potent beverages here in Belgium. Drink the first one, then the second one, sit down now and drink the third one,...by the time you have finished the sixth bottle you will have just as many slugs to contend with but after six Triple Westmalles you won't give a sod about the pests.

Anton

P.S. Yes, it's a dreadful year for slugs.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2024, 07:11 »
Has anyone used nematodes?
If so where from and how effective.
I've found them good for potatoes in the past but haven't used for years but think I will have to this year.

Cavolo Hero

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2024, 07:42 »
My advice is to get six bottles of the strongest beer you can find. Triple Westmalle is one of the most potent beverages here in Belgium. Drink the first one, then the second one, sit down now and drink the third one,...by the time you have finished the sixth bottle you will have just as many slugs to contend with but after six Triple Westmalles you won't give a sod about the pests.

Anton

P.S. Yes, it's a dreadful year for slugs.

:D  I like your thinking Anton!
 :lol:

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2024, 09:02 »
Has anyone used nematodes?
If so where from and how effective.
I've found them good for potatoes in the past but haven't used for years but think I will have to this year.
I have used nematodes in the past for spud protection. You have to get the timing right in terms of soil temperature etc. I think they had an effect but it’s very difficult to establish how much as you would need a controlled study with them on a bit of the plot versus none on another. Personally I ended up thinking the old pellets were better.
A range of companies have nematodes I think I bought from “gardening naturally” make sure you get the ones designed to attack slugs. Good luck !! HH

xx
HHH no 15 Slugs and snails.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 08:38
by brucesgirl
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2024, 22:05
by Aunt Sally
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by mattcavens on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 13:37
by peapod
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 20:38
by hotterotter

Page created in 0.79 seconds with 54 queries.