Slugs (again)

• 12 Replies

Sands

Slugs (again)
« on: May 16, 2024, 11:38 »
Sorry if this has been touched on, but an article I read recently commented on Highgrove`s gardener suggesting similar to the `beer` method, alternatively using a mixture of small amounts of sugar and dried yeast with water in pots with the rim at ground level.
 Anyone tried this?

Fisherman

Re: Slugs (again)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 19:19 »
Over winter I tried a mixture of Marmite, Plain Flour and Sugar mixed with warm water in beer type home made traps. They caught hundreds of slugs especially the little black underground ones that you don't see during the day. No reason to think dried yeast won't work. The mixture does start to ferment after a few days especially in warmer weather.

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2024, 20:19 »
I’ve just started a major campaign at my plot against slugs which usually devastate my newly planted seedlings. I’ve got a load of old decking boards and flooring planks which I’m laying either side of my beds and keeping damp. The slugs love to hide there during the day when I come up and dispatch them. Early days, but I’m hopeful it should keep them in check.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 09:09 »
That's a great idea!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

InWarwickshire

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 11:55 »
Hi Nobby.
This works-I`ve tried it in the past over the winter months. Slugs hide there from the cold. You will find that the satisfying method will gradually reduce the numbers `till there era none. Let us know the numbers - interesting.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 17:10 »
Hi Nobby.
This works-I`ve tried it in the past over the winter months. Slugs hide there from the cold. You will find that the satisfying method will gradually reduce the numbers `till there era none. Let us know the numbers - interesting.

That’s good to know, got about 50-100 today, between a quarter and and inch and a half. It also seems to be a good environment for other bugs which I’m leaving alone as may be beneficial, beetles, centipedes etc. It will also help having cleared up the plot over winter and removed lots of rubbish where they could hide. Found lots of huge ones while doing that. I’ll update on here with progress.

InWarwickshire

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2024, 14:58 »
Need to give the `plank - board` method a name :wub:
I think it works better Jan. to March as currently  slugs stay near there `food bank`....in lettuce, among strawberies etc.

Kev50

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2024, 16:10 »
Sorry if this has been touched on, but an article I read recently commented on Highgrove`s gardener suggesting similar to the `beer` method, alternatively using a mixture of small amounts of sugar and dried yeast with water in pots with the rim at ground level.
 Anyone tried this?

Just made so up today so I will keep you posted.

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2024, 20:40 »
Another 73 dispatched today :D Wife thinks I’m going slightly mad :lol:

Nobbie

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2024, 12:33 »
Another 75 yesterday and explored a few more places in the rain today and got 183. They really loved the clump of lupins I have, so cleared the rotting foliage from around the plants and picked lots off the plants themselves. Might even try planting some lupins as sacrificial plants to attract the slugs next year before dispatch. One at the end of each bed would be nice.

I’ll keep a close eye over the next few days as slugs will be very active in the wet weather and I’ve just planted out some tasty seedlings.

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2024, 14:23 »
Another 113 today, plank I put next to the lupins had 30-40 under it.

InWarwickshire

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2024, 13:48 »
            " Another 113 today," ...eh? the numbers are supposed to :wacko: decrease!

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2024, 19:11 »
            " Another 113 today," ...eh? the numbers are supposed to :wacko: decrease!

154 today :ohmy: I’m getting my eye in for spotting them and checking a few more places plus I’m getting a few more small ones. Still plenty of bigger ones though. I think I’m gradually turning the tide and it will be interesting to see how number pan out over the next week.

xx
slugs

Started by slowcompost on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 22:57
by Annie
xx
slugs

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 15, 2010, 19:49
by DavidT
xx
Slugs

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 01:08
by IMOmimey
xx
slugs

Started by ilan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 07:17
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.627 seconds with 50 queries.