« on: September 12, 2023, 16:55 »
What time is best to spray the weeds before I turn it over
metal detector man

Hampshire Hog

Re: Weeds
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 17:17 »
Normally when they are growing !!
Any time now I would think therefore
They seem very prolific this year I’m afraid.
Keep digging

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 21:17 »
Just in case you were planning to turn the weeds over as soon as you have sprayed them, it would be better to leave it a few weeks until the weeds are showing signs of dying back. Depending on the particular weedkiller, many act only if the plant is still actively growing - which it wouldn't be if you turn it in/over.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 12:33 »
after we harvested the veg I sprayed with Roundup and boy that has certainly maid an effect on the weeds the the ground is weed free because this years weed population has been unbelievable so I'm hopping by spraying it will reduce the weeds next year as they will be unable to reseed

also I have been thinking about trying straw as a weed deterrent I've seen several brands of straw based weed deterrents and  I was thinking about making my own straw deterrent using a shredder to chop the straw as it needs to be finely chopped and then spread it on the beds or up the rows

so what's you thoughts on this have you used this straw method and has it worked or is it just another way of spending money on something that doesn't work comments most welcome

jezza

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 17:15 »
Hello if you are using Roindup (Glyphosate) remember to read the label and follow all guidelines ,I've recently done PA1 chemical handling and PA 6  chemical application course we had to calibrate the sprayer for the width then nozzle  litres per minute  then calculate the exact amount for the area to be sprayed (8×25 metres 200 square metres) the knap sack sprayer i used put on 1.8 litres a minute thr calculations brought the chemical needed to 80ml to 3.6 litres of water ,I had to have 10 percent of contents or less of the  knapsack sprayer left I was exact at 360ml left ,dont dug in if it's a residual weed killer it can remain in the ground for a while ,Round up breaks down after a few days,remember to do a risk assessment of the area and only spray target plants dont spray over water courses ,and try and put a sign up if other people have access to the  site past the sprayed area   jezza

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
Weeds, weeds & more weeds.......

Started by Half a plot man on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 21:58
by JayG
clip
Weeds

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 21:29
by Hobovore

Page created in 0.541 seconds with 35 queries.