My future greenhouse tomato plants

• 11 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

My future greenhouse tomato plants
« on: August 27, 2023, 10:18 »
After a lifetime of growing the usual standard-sized normal tomatoes (Moneymaker etc) This year I deviated and grew Super Mama and St Pierre beefsteak-types. That's me for the rest of my life! Their flavour and texture has been, and still is, absolutely mind-blowingly delicious

Kleftiwallah

Re: My future greenhouse tomato plants
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 10:44 »
Good morning AlaninCarlisle, don't forget to try one of the Brandywine varieties. :) 

Here's one I made earlier.  It's in my wife's dainty hands to make it look even bigger! 
(There is a joke in there somewhere)!

Cheers,  Tony.
Big tom Brandywine..JPG
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 14:36 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 19:44 »
Glad to hear that you've had some wins, I have less tom's but they are bigger than normal, just need them to ripen and I'm a happy boy, growwing moneymaker, mortgage lifter, heinz, roma, beefsteak and tumbling toms, Its been a difficult year where the constant rain gets you in a false security, it's still warm and regular watering is a must, BER has been present but not on all my toms and I'm up and down opening and closing the greenhousebetween heavy downpours, once I eat a tomato then its all worth it though
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 08:45 »
This year I planted mine straight into the greenhouse bed instead of grow bags and have not had any BER or greenback for the first time - YO! Fancy growing a cordon plum-type tom next year. Are the Roma and beefsteak ones cordons or bush?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

R H

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 19:47 »
Good morning AlaninCarlisle, don't forget to try one of the Brandywine varieties. :)

Cheers,  Tony.
Brandy wine have been real good for me this year. A few pics below.
11/2 lb what s my largest this year.
My Shirley’s have been very good also and still cropping well along with Sungold and Modus F1, even though sun has been fairly scarce the last number of weeks, all were pinched 1st week of August.
IMG_6498.jpeg
IMG_6494.jpeg

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 21:12 »
Roma are a bush type, but you can get  cordon plums like san marzano. I've grown san marzano redorta before and it was extremely tasty, made a great sauce. Another option are oxheart tomatoes, I grow them and prefer them to plums I think, they produce large tomatoes with very little gell and seeds. I think real seeds sells some.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 08:46 »
That's me sorted for next year. This year's are Sakura which are nice, but not one you'd call meaty which is the type I want to grow next year. Thanks for your help.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 18:37 »

Here's one I made earlier.  It's in my wife's dainty hands to make it look even bigger! 
(There is a joke in there somewhere)!

Cheers,  Tony.

Wine-sur-keyboard Tony,,,

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 18:41 »
We always grow 'Shirley', and this year, they've been fabulous, both in the GH and outside! Some of them are enormous, and I don't do anything special in feeding them!

I really don't know why I bother with others - I tried 'Ocado', and they're useless, so I could have had a few plants of proper toms in their place!

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 10:38 »
I've just ordered an oxheart and San Marzano cordon type for next year. Here's hoping!

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 13:38 »
Another delighted with my Brandywine Pink, first grew them last year and really impressed with crop and flavour. Just had one sliced in a sandwich :D, makes up for Indigo Cherry Drops which is a purple cherry tomato that I tried this year. Crop is decent, but took a while to ripen and the fruit is utterly tasteless. They aren’t even fully purple, just the top half.

I’ll stick with Brandywine, Gardener’s Delight, Sungold and choose a new experiment for next year, but choose based on taste rather than gimmickry.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2023, 08:49 »
Im the same, I grew quite a few varieties this year but sungold is so much better than the other cherry's I grew so next year I'm just going to stick to sungold. And only a couple of other tried and tested varieties

xx
CAN TOMATO PLANTS GO INTO THE GREENHOUSE NOW?

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 21:07
by Kristen
xx
tomato plants

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 22:09
by Growster...
xx
Tomato plants

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2012, 22:19
by DD.
xx
Where to buy tomato plants?

Started by Rita Craft on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2020, 17:19
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 48 queries.