How does your garden grow?

• 6 Replies

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
How does your garden grow?
« on: August 05, 2023, 07:35 »
On this rainy day in this odd year how is your garden/allotment doing?

Here in the East Midlands it's been varied and with some surprises.

-The plot looks very lush appreciating all the rain (I am only partially appreciative!).
-The tomatoes sown early(ish) haven't been set back by the grey weather. I think the hot June helped.
-The later sown tomatoes (April) are slow
-Peppers and aubergines surprisingly doing well. Again, I think the hot June weather helped.
-French beans are late (ready at the same time as runners) but all massively producing. I know from past experience that  they love a wet summer.
-Courgettes/squash-a slow start but squash really starting to set big fruit. Courgettes producing but not into glut season yet.
-Soft fruit-a bumper year for fruit again and blackberry season looks like will be the same (started about 1 week ago here)
-Beetroot and spring onions-slow. They didn't appreciate the dry weather in May/June but have now picked up.
-Potatoes-earlies have been disappointing.
-Weeds........... Never seen them growing so well in August!

missmoneypenny

Re: How does your garden grow?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 15:15 »
Thanks for kicking this thread off. Here in London this is my sum up:
Doing well:
Courgettes, as usual
Beetroot like you was very slow and small. I thought it would never bulk up but now it’s looking good
Cabbages- apart from the usual snails, caterpillars, and foxes smashing through the nets
French beans were good but running out of steam now, the borlotti are coming on
Surprisingly, my green peppers ( outside)
Lettuces, did a variety called Saxon very good oak leaf style
Garlic did ok, I harvested all as scared they’d rot if I left them in any longer
Apples, lots on the tree
Blackcurrants, got a good harvest off my 2 bushes enough for about 6 pots of jam
Well behind:
Aubergines- barely flowered yet
Tomatoes- lots of beautiful fruit but all green. So scared they’ll get blight
Strawberries didn’t do great but it was their 1st year, they reopened during the very hot weather
Cucumbers a lot less productive than last year. Not a lot of fruit despite plants looking healthy
Total no show:
Damson. Not a single fruit

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 15:21 »
I've harvested beans for the first time in 4 or 5 years!

Mind you, the Cobra I sowed have again failed to remember that they are climbing beans ...!!!  :mad:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 15:29 »
we had a couple of pickings of peas but not as good as last year but we still managed to put some in the freezer the same goes for cabbage they cropped very well onions slow start but picked up but we need to keep an eye on them because they are  prone to onion rot

broad beans cropped ok runner beans just coming on stream for picking courgettes not brilliant same goes for the marrows beetroot ok also turnips cropped ok cauliflowers a waste of time and early  potatoes not so good this season brussels and leeks growing fine

so although we've has some good harvesting up to now its not as good as last season and I have to say we where a tad late in some sowing and plantings I wont mention the weed crop

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 15:38 »
My cherry tomatoes are splitting just as they are ripening, something to do with long dry spells, then wet weather I'm told. Courgettes are growing fast and turning into marrow look alikes as we speak! Are they edible like that? Runner beans are not as plentiful, flowers dropping off - no beans produced at bottom of plant. Spuds ok, Cabbage good apart from pests, peas all dug up by some crazy animal who decided to create a 4 inch deep trench where they were  ::) Beetroot a bit sparse, also eaten by something, lettuce ok, spring onions - nil, onions good. Carrots reseeded 4 times, finally got some plants, but not many. Sweetcorn and broad beans (over wintered) all good. Swede and Cauli - not sure yet. Not a great year - for me anyway!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 21:10 »
Loads of french beans and runners on the plot plus cherry tomatoes at home.
Broad beans were very good.
Not bad crop of beetroot earlier and asparagus plentiful.
Waiting to see how the sweetcorn performs looks ok so far.
Onions good and garlic ok but not amazing.
Second sowing of peas coming on and a small harvest of Calabrese so far.
Squash doing well since the rain along with courgettes.
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 09:09 »
This year, due to the timing of my house move, and getting greenhouse re-erected, I planted late anyway, so wasn't expecting bumper crops  :nowink:
My peas came to nothing (I must improve soil for next year - it is v heavy clay)
In the greenhouse, my tomatoes are finally beginning to ripen :) even though they had the curly leaf thing during the hot weather. I've had a few cucumbers, and a few more setting now it has cooled down a bit. Ramiro peppers (grown from supermarket pepper seeds) are enormous with a huge set, so far. I left 2 plants in each bucket, big mistake! I hope I can get them through to ripening  :D
Sweetcorn are growing slowly, but I think they'll be too late.
Runner beans are finally setting, although they haven't grown as tall as usual (late start, poor soil and weather? Take your pick!!)
Same as everybody else, I have had no problem growing a huge crop of weeds, the flowers are pretty BUT  :ohmy: :ohmy:

xx
What would you grow in the garden?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2020, 21:29
by rowlandwells
xx
Want a Garden or land to grow fruit and veg, try "Landshare"

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 19:16
by Yorkie
clip
Just "built" a terraced garden...what to grow.

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post August 10, 2017, 18:03
by cc
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador

Page created in 0.717 seconds with 30 queries.