Removing seedlings from Seed trays

• 18 Replies

Anton

Removing seedlings from Seed trays
« on: June 09, 2023, 15:30 »
I recently bought one of these seed trays, sowed some seeds and was quite hapy to see them coming up quite quickly. However, when it came from transferring them from the pots to the garden plot it was a bit of a struggle. I watered the modules well but I still had to push from the bottom to get the seedlings out.
    I can't see the trays lasting long at this rate and I don't think it is very good for the plants. Does anybody have any smarter methods for removing the plants please?

Anton

snowdrops

Re: Removing seedlings from Seed trays
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 16:05 »
Which seed tray was it that you bought? Was there supposed to be a photo or a link to it?  ;). If it’s a module tray, I find you need a good amount of root growth to aid you getting the plant out, either a squeeze around the sides of each module or push up through the drainage hole with a pencil or dribbler works for me.
I’m moving over to the Charles Dowding ones as they use less compost,are designed to last for years & are tapered to enable easy removal of the plant.
I’ll find a link.

https://containerwise.co.uk/product/charles-dowding-starter-pack/

Not cheap by any means but I’m very pleased with mine, I’ve had them 2 or 3 years now. Scroll down to see the other sizes, I’ve only got a few of the CD 60s at the moment. I bought them with some birthday/Christmas money to try a few years back, that was the only size they had but they now do a half size cd30 or 1/4 size cd 15. The number refers to the amount of modules, but all the modules are the same size, quite small, but I tried French beans in mine this year & they were a great success, very little rotting off like normal.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 16:13 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Anton

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 16:46 »
Thanks for your quick reply. You can see my tray below in the photo (the plastic is a bit flimsy looking, I have to say). I tried with the pencil in the small hole at the bottom but did not manage to move anything. I saw a video where a woman watered the pots really well then upended the tray slightly and then pulled the seedling out by a leaf (seemed a bit drastic) and then pushed gently on the side of the pot. I also tried dislodging the pot, scooping it out with a slender stick I had with me at the time.

Anton
Tray.jpg

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 17:59 »
Could you use a small knife or something to break the tension around the edges? I use an old chisel

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 18:12 »
I use a teaspoon!

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 18:22 »
I use a teaspoon!
That's what I use too.

Anton

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 18:43 »
Then when you use your chisel or spoon or knife do you need to push the bottom of the pot?
Because with separate normal-size pots I just water them, wait a minute or two, two them upside, given them a gentle shake and they just slide out.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 18:43 »
I choose a suitably sized finger to fit into the drainage hole, push upwards from underneath, and eject!
Works better if the compost is slightly on the dry side so has shrunk away from the sides a little.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Anton

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 18:55 »
Slightly dry. That's a thought. The hole is too small to accommodate anything bigger than a pencil.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 18:57 »
If none of these suggestions are working Anton, the plastic might be too flimsy in your trays. Cheap ones can be a false economy

Anton

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 19:00 »
Ok, thanks all of you for the advice. I just have just filled up another tray. I will let you what happens when the plants emerge.
I wasn't really being a cheapskate. These were the only ones they had in the garden store.

Anton

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 19:03 »
Or to put it another way then, very thin plastic could be a problem.

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 21:36 »
Ok, thanks all of you for the advice. I just have just filled up another tray. I will let you what happens when the plants emerge.
I wasn't really being a cheapskate. These were the only ones they had in the garden store.

Anton

No I’m sure you weren’t. Over the years in an effort to save plastic or ahem money the manufacturer’s have made the plastic so thin that they have become incredibly flimsy which is why I have begun replacing them with the ones I described & linked to

Anton

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 22:25 »
Thanks again.

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2023, 09:38 »
When I buy plug plants they come in tiny modules in a plastic tray. I find I have more success removing them by pushing a slim stick, cane, whatever up the bottom but make sure they're drying out beforehand so it makes them easier to get out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Removing seedlings from heated propagator

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2018, 17:55
by Eblana
xx
growing seedlings in tiny plug trays

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 13:45
by Headgardener22
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
smiley
my new little seed trays

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2014, 00:45
by peedee555

Page created in 0.541 seconds with 45 queries.