All tomato plants dieing

• 28 Replies

cc

Re: All tomato plants dieing
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2023, 15:35 »
I have binned all the small ones as they were ones that died . 2 baskets have ones that are still looking iffy.
I have started again on the hanging basket plants. Hopefully I will get a crop from them.
The ones in the raised bed in the greenhouse look a little bit iffy but appear to be growing okay
 Producing plenty ofnflowers but they don't seem to be Producing tomatoes? Flowers just dieing off.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 18:42 »
If they are producing flowers but they are dropping off, that sounds more like a pollination issues.

Are pollinators able to get to the flowers, and are there pollinators around at the moment?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gobs

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2023, 20:11 »
I think, itáscold and wind damage. Start again. :lol:
Inside greenhouse?
Is there a point to the laughing face?

From this: "the hanging basket ones are. I started them in the greenhouse" I gathered, she had put them out since than.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

cc

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 13:48 »
Inside greenhouse?

From this: "the hanging basket ones are. I started them in the greenhouse" I gathered, she had put them out since than.
I asked you what the point was of the laughing face

cc

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 13:50 »
If they are producing flowers but they are dropping off, that sounds more like a pollination issues.

Are pollinators able to get to the flowers, and are there pollinators around at the moment?
They can get to plants but there isn't a huge amount of pollinators about at the moment. Thanks

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 14:07 »
Tomatoes don't need insects to polinate

If night time temps are consistently below 10c a lot won't set fruit. There are some varieties thst have been bred that will set fruit down to 4c. Also if daytime temperatures are above 32c  for a while that can also cause problems, that could be an issue in a greenhouse

cc

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2023, 14:16 »
Inside greenhouse?

Again what is the point of the laughing face?

cc

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2023, 14:23 »

If night time temps are consistently below 10c a lot won't set fruit. There are some varieties thst have been bred that will set fruit down to 4c. Also if daytime temperatures are above 32c  for a while that can also cause problems, that could be an issue in a greenhouse
I have read they don't need insects to polinate. So how do they pollinate?
Also does that apply to sweet peppers?
In reference to temperature although the greenhouse is more of garden room as it has a well insulated flat roof and double glazed, at the moment there is good chance of the temperature dropping below 9c. Although one plant is called stupice, which shouldn't have a problem. Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2023, 16:54 »

Due to the way their flowers are constructed, neither need insects for pollination, although both can benefit from the occasional tap of the stems to shake the flowers around a bit to make sure.
Somewhere around midday is the best time as the pollen will be drier and looser (I just do it whenever I happen to think of it, which could be at any time!  ::))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cc

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2023, 10:55 »

Due to the way their flowers are constructed, neither need insects for pollination, although both can benefit from the occasional tap of the stems to shake the flowers around a bit to make sure.
Somewhere around midday is the best time as the pollen will be drier and looser (I just do it whenever I happen to think of it, which could be at any time!  ::))
So the equivalent of wind born pollination?
When you say both, you mean sweet peppers as well?
I am thinking if both, I may attempt to block access to the greenhouse with insect netting, where possible. Windows mainly. At least should reduce green fly etc.
Thank you cc

Goosegirl

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2023, 12:34 »
Think humidity can help with pollination too, so damp down your g'house if hot with a spray of water which will also help to reduce temps in there.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2023, 21:25 »

So the equivalent of wind born pollination?
When you say both, you mean sweet peppers as well?
I am thinking if both, I may attempt to block access to the greenhouse with insect netting, where possible. Windows mainly. At least should reduce green fly etc.
Thank you cc

My understanding is that when insects help tomatoes pollinate, it is the vibration from the insect that does it.  Bumble bees are reported to be helpful tomato pollinators ('buzz pollination").  I imitate this by going around to each tomato flower and gently flick it a few times with a finger.  It seems to work. 

If you look at a tomato flower up close, it is mostly a closed structure, stamens are close around the pistil.  Pepper flowers IMO are more open (aubergines are sort of in between). I think peppers would be more effectively pollinated by insects, but probably it could happen without insects.

Could tomatoes be wind-pollinated?  Maybe!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

anchorman

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2023, 18:50 »
Probably a bit late but Tom's suffer from verticillium wilt.
It can be caused by a virus, either air or soil born..
If the roots are drowned they will wilt, if too dry, the same. VW can be caused be sudden shock from cold to too hot.
One thing I would try is to give the plant a good dousing with a spray of clean cold water. Try and keep the roots out of the spray.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2023, 20:39 »
Probably a bit late but Tom's suffer from verticillium wilt.
It can be caused by a virus, either air or soil born..
If the roots are drowned they will wilt, if too dry, the same. VW can be caused be sudden shock from cold to too hot.
One thing I would try is to give the plant a good dousing with a spray of clean cold water. Try and keep the roots out of the spray.

Actually, the cause is a fungus, two species in the genus Verticillium, not a virus.

Soil borne. The RHS has a good website on the subject. https://www.rhs.org.uk/disease/verticillium-wilt There is no chemical treatment for it.  The RHS site presents more complete information.

xx
Help - plants dieing randomly

Started by adriancole on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 28, 2007, 20:13
by mkhenry
xx
tomato plants

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 23:56
by viettaclark
xx
My tomato plants

Started by gill robinson on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2020, 16:41
by snowdrops
xx
When to tip tomato plants

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 11:44
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.348 seconds with 43 queries.