2nd hand greenhouse

• 12 Replies

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
2nd hand greenhouse
« on: April 24, 2023, 17:30 »
Hope this is in the right place, tomorrow I'm getting a 2nd hand greenhouse from someone on our allotment site. It's still up at the minute, we hope to remove the glass and lift the frame to my plot tomorrow afternoon. I've read the guide and tips on here about 2nd hand greenhouses. I was after a bit of advice where to put it. I'm thinking of placing it on the blue rectangle on the pic. I'm facing north when the pic is taken to give you the aspect.
Screenshot_1116.png
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 18:52 by vikingraider »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: 2nd hand greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 18:59 »
Looks Ok - it will get sun from the south
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 19:05 »
I'd ask people which direction the prevailing wind comes from, so you can avoid putting the door on that side.
IMO, it's nice if you can have one of your longer sides on the South, to make the most of the sun early and late in the year.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 19:29 »
Westerly wind comes from the left hand side of the pic. I cant place the greenhouse on the right hand side of the pic due to the large apple tree. There's also a small apple tree in the back left corner of my plot. I'm guessing it's the wrong time to try to move that. So is where I'm thinking looking the best bet?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 19:41 »
How far away is the water source and are you going to be carting it in by hand or not?  Everything in there will need a lot of water over the summer, so that is worth bearing in mind. 

It can seem a lot of extra work even just carrying water from one end of the plot to the other.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 20:04 »
The tap is about 20m away. Eventually I hope to have 3 big blue barrels at the north side fed by the water run off, off the greenhouse roof. My plan was to have the door facing south but it's recommended to have it facing east then?

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 07:38 »
The tap is about 20m away. Eventually I hope to have 3 big blue barrels at the north side fed by the water run off, off the greenhouse roof. My plan was to have the door facing south but it's recommended to have it facing east then?
I'd have the door to the East. If you have the long side facing South it's a better use of space because you can put plants all along that sunniest side.
Also it is a good idea to have the westerly wind blowing along the ridge as it will be less likely to be damaged by it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 08:42 by coldandwindy »

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 17:53 »
However, what's at the southern end of your alottment?

Southern end is a 5 foot high fence. I though that would shade the greenhouse

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2023, 17:56 »
We managed to get it to my plot. It had 5 panes missing and all the triangle 'corners' were missing too. But not too bad for nothing
JTRP2673.JPG

wighty

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2023, 20:41 »
Just a warning, the price of greenhouse glass has shot up over the last couple of years. A piece 24x24" which is the normal size we retail for £15.49, you can add another pound or two for cutting to make the triangular bits. The 24"x18" retail  for £10. 49 but if y ou need what's  known as a Dutch Light (56"x28 and three quarter inches, sorry that button doesn't work on the keyboard) will cost you a whopping £46.95.  We've just changed our supplier of glass as the Company we used to use stopped making greenhouse quality glass and they were even more expensive. 

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2023, 07:49 »
we had a gifted greenhouse also with missing triangle pieces we use these as extra ventilation this has worked well but we dont overwinter anything in this GH [that price for glass is scary]  good luck
from bow like to grow

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 17:31 »
If you're looking for replacement glass check the like of gumtree and free cycle first.

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2023, 08:36 »
We have a local buy and sell place which I've seen on Facebook (not that I use FB much) plus maybe you have a local institute or supermarket where you could put up a message.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Second hand Greenhouse Saga

Started by triage999 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 19, 2007, 18:49
by shaun
xx
Need A Hand

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 18:44
by DD.
xx
Helping hand

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 11:39
by Russell Atterbury
xx
Weeding by hand......

Started by The Red Baron on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post November 09, 2013, 18:12
by al78

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 43 queries.