A very nervous traveller.

• 15 Replies

Goosegirl

A very nervous traveller.
« on: April 08, 2023, 10:02 »
Oh dear! I booked a day trip on a coach up the Lake district to Keswick for this coming Monday and I'm so bricking it! I haven't been anywhere on my own for years and am currently trembling like a jelly. I know, I'm a daft tart and what on earth am I worrying about, but loads of "what ifs" are rolling through my mind such as - what if I get lost and can't find my way back to the coach - der. I'll take my notebook with me and write down where we get dropped off and what time I have to be back for, especially as my short-term memory isn't what it used to was. I'm not even thinking about a six day coach holiday to Killarney in September, or rather I am but trying not to. Anyone know the feeling and how to overcome it?  :unsure:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: A very nervous traveller.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 10:55 »
Perhaps you could team up for the day with another passenger.  Two’s company  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 10:56 »
I always get chatting to people so will try that - thanks.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 10:57 »
You’ll have a great day  :D

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 15:36 »
Well i know what you are going through, is it the people you are worried about?, the journey its self, or being on a coach or the unknown of what to expect?.
Ask yourself these questions 1 at a time, the first hurdle right getting to the coach area, once you have done that give yourself a big pat on the back, 2nd hurdle getting on the coach do you want to be on your own or sit with someone, sitting with another person is better if you can say hello and start and start chatting the journey will fly by very fast,if you want to sit on your own decide if you want to be at the front which for me is the best you can look at the countryside as you go along.
If you can take something to chew gum or mints something that you like this will help relax you.
 And the top thing is have a good time and relax deep breathing is a big big help.
   I live every day with this huge problem even shopping is a nightmare for me because i avoid people i hate crowds, my happy place is home in my garden and out on my bike with my labrador Luna.
  remember each goal you deal with will give you a huge boost and you will be very proud of yourself.
    good luck and have a great time.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 20:49 »
Take photos of the coach rendezvous & ask the driver for phone number for emergencies,
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 09:11 »
I so thank you all for your help, especially Lillyleaf who has experienced what I'm going through. I think it's coping with the unknown that I fear so much. I too hate crowds but always get chatting to people when in small groups. I also get like this coming up to the festive season and haven't a clue why.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 13:29 »
Well, sorry to let you all down but I couldn't face going as it was making me feel very poorly. Thanks and bless you all for your help and kind comments.

MrsPea

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 15:05 »
That's a great shame Goosegirl but at least your honest perhaps try a short one next time  :)
I Love my green house

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 20:07 »
Oh that is a shame GG. What made you decide to go on your own & there?
Perhaps build up to it, by doing smaller outings

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 10:17 »
My husband has Parkinson's and I rarely get out of the house unless I walk down to the village, so he's said I need to get out more which is true. The day trip was to Keswick which is only about 50 miles away in the Lake District. I'm now going to get the bus and go into town as it's only about 6 miles away.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 16:17 »
Small steps GG.  You’ll get there  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 14:35 »
Sometimes it is just too big a step to do in one go, and completely understand.

Good luck with the bus trip to town - perhaps find a little treat once there, e.g. a coffee shop, to look forward to and reward yourself. In time, you'll become desensitised to the trip and bigger steps may then seem possible.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2023, 16:20 »
Well done GG, just make it your new normal.I for one found it quite strange after Covid & found the best way was to start little & often. I think as Yorkie suggests rewarding yourself with a tea or coffee is an excellent idea.

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2023, 09:13 »
Thank you all for your kind comments. I was trying to run before I could walk as usual, so will do as you suggest. It's also nice and uplifting to know I'm not the only one.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 53 queries.