Rejuvenating strawberries

• 12 Replies

wolveryeti

Rejuvenating strawberries
« on: February 22, 2023, 19:57 »
My strawberries are looking a bit sad - choked with weeds, quite a lot of die back because of the cold.

They are quite a nice variety (day neutral), which I would like to keep if practical. Any advice on what I should do?

snowdrops

Re: Rejuvenating strawberries
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 21:03 »
Re locate them to a new weed free bed using the runners first & then transplanting the older plants. Bearing in mind that it’s recommended to replace the plants every 3 or 4 years.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

omits

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 22:30 »
My strawberries are looking a bit sad - choked with weeds, quite a lot of die back because of the cold.

They are quite a nice variety (day neutral), which I would like to keep if practical. Any advice on what I should do?
Mine cover my fruit cage floor which they grow on a membrane so hardly any soil. Do alright though. Any suggestions as to feed? I was thinking of chicken manure.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 10:40 »
Chicken manure is really for plants that like a high nitrogen feed such as brassicas, sweet corn, etc. Fruiting plants need more potash so use a dilute tomato feed. Strawberries do look a bit tired at this time of year but they are very hardy things, so just remove the brown leaves then remove the weeds. If the weeds are perennial such as dandelions, couch grass etc, I'd do as Snowdrop says.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

omits

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 12:17 »

Ease them out from the weeds and rebed them so you can concentrate on getting those weeds out and using the bed where they were for something else.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 17:14 »
I’d get stuck in now before the new growth gets going and remove the dead leaves and weeds. Leave it any later and you risk damaging the new growth. Enjoy the crop this year and take runners to plant a new bed for next year which you can clear of perennial weeds this year.

omits

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 17:25 »

See https://www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/fruit-trees/feeding-and-mulching

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 11:28 »
Since there are folk here who know a thing or two about strawberries can I ask you a few questions? I have never grown strawberries before  :blush: so need advice. I will be growing them in containers as I have no room left in my beds. I live in the Peak district where there are often late frosts. For me it is all about flavour and filling in that gap before the raspberries arrive. Can anyone suggest the best variety for me and a good supplier? Thank you.

omits

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 14:38 »
...Can anyone suggest the best variety for me and a good supplier? Thank you.
I would have thought your local garden centre will stock the varieties for your area.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 10:00 »
...Can anyone suggest the best variety for me and a good supplier? Thank you.
I would have thought your local garden centre will stock the varieties for your area.

We had two garden centres. One went out of business  :( and the second 'diversified' and isnt much use for advise now. I am now reliant on on-line producers but there are so many different types of Strawberry on sale I was hoping that folk on this forum might have some opinions  :)

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 13:14 »
Since there are folk here who know a thing or two about strawberries can I ask you a few questions? I have never grown strawberries before  :blush: so need advice. I will be growing them in containers as I have no room left in my beds. I live in the Peak district where there are often late frosts. For me it is all about flavour and filling in that gap before the raspberries arrive. Can anyone suggest the best variety for me and a good supplier? Thank you.

I find Honoye is a good reliable variety with good taste, but I was really impressed with the flavour and texture of Malwina, lovely red, meaty flesh. Really special in my opinion, not the biggest cropper, but worth growing for the quality of the fruit.

wolveryeti

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 18:56 »

Ken Muir are good. I would get a day neutral/everbearing variety as in my view that's better than having a glut all at once

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 09:18 »
I like D T Brown's Elvira as they are a decent size and have a traditional strawberry taste rather than being all sweet.

xx
Rejuvenating compost

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 22, 2013, 14:01
by Kristen
xx
Rejuvenating my raised beds

Started by alan bell on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 22:41
by Yorkie
xx
Strawberries

Started by Debz and Jon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2006, 22:56
by Heather_S
xx
Strawberries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 08:44
by vet

Page created in 0.581 seconds with 50 queries.