cauliflower disaster

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

cauliflower disaster
« on: January 10, 2023, 16:49 »
 I only said a few weeks ago that our winter cauliflowers sowed back in October where looking good in the greenhouse then along came those hard frosts but they still seemed to look ok but then looking at them at the weekend there just dying of in the pots

so a Q. can I sow cauliflower seed now in a propagator or is it to early?

we always sowed a variety called Boris in October and never had any problems they where always ready to plant out come spring and they produces good cauliflowers I know I'm not going to catch up with the autumn sown but a bit of advise would be most appreciated RW

snowdrops

Re: cauliflower disaster
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 16:51 »
Sorry to hear that RW, I lost mine to the frosts but mine were ready to harvest. I’d give it a try, nothing ventured nothing gained as they say
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 17:53 »
thanks snowdrops in for a penny in for a pound  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 18:38 »
I did try sowing one January and the plants did OK, but I then made the mistake of planting them out with no weather protection and they got caught by a cold snap.  The leaves turned purple and although they recovered, they only produced very small heads.

Mind you I’m no expert and have only managed to grow cauliflowers a couple of times, but I would recommend putting them out under a cloche or some other cover.  If they are not overwintered, they seem to be a lot more delicate.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 19:04 »
as I said having  pricked them out into pots I left them on the bench of the greenhouse as I did in 2021. maybe I  should have put them in the poly tunnel but I never gave it a thought we would have such hard frost when I put a bit extra anti-freeze in the tractors should  we hard hard frosts why didn't I have the same thoughts for my lovely cauliflower plants so I've learnt my lesson if I want early cauliflowers I need to give um a bit of TLC needles to say the wife gave me some ear bashing  :(

xx
Disaster after disaster this year

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 00:25
by leeky
xx
Oh No! Disaster of not?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 22:40
by hindy
xx
Disaster

Started by oggy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2006, 17:25
by John
xx
disaster

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 15:47
by Trillium

Page created in 1.005 seconds with 29 queries.