Onion question

• 7 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Onion question
« on: December 05, 2022, 21:17 »
Is it too late to plant setts , picked up some the other day.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Onion question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 23:47 »
Are they Autumn or Spring planting variety.
If they're autumn planting, I'd start them in modules in a greenhouse, that's what I did last year, and done this year for my garlic. Under a cloche somewhere sheltered might work, at a pinch.
You might be asking for trouble planting any outside in the open, right now, with snow/low temperatures forecast for the next couple of weeks.

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 02:57 »
Definitely in greenhouse as mumofstig says I’ve got some in grow dining nothing last year did some in greenhouse did well I got some more sets and put them in greenhouse

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 17:45 »
I stopped growing autumn sets this year because I found I had better results from overwintering onions from seed the Japanese variety Element for spring planting had good results  as for spring sowings  with both sets and seed the spring sowings did take a tad longer to produce but one of the variety we grew from seed santero was a good cropper as was the sets Turbo sets

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 21:02 »
I’ve got some seed in for last month first time I’ve tried overwintering seed Alesia Craig Sturon and red baron when should I put the in ground Rowlandwells April march ?cheers

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 11:52 »
 well snowboar as I said we grow Element [Japanese] and we don't plant out until spring when the ground warms up also a friend of ours who grows good veg including onions always starts his onion seed of around the end of March in a cat litter tray and plants out when the onion plants have got established and boy does he have good  onions as I said we both grow santero I'm also going to grow some other varieties [Kings] Bonus and a red onion Magnate  [Robinson's] mammoth  red [Browns] exhibition I think we should have enough onions to last us if they produce a decent crop  ;)

Sparkyweb

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 12:02 »
I picked up some garlic bulbs cheap in Wilko at the weekend. As the ground still has snow on it, would it be wise to plant these in modules too and leave them in the greenhouse for a while… If so when should i plant them into the ground?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 13:47 »
That's exactly what i did last year.. I put them into pots with some multi purpose compost and kept them in the greenhouse house, then in the spring I just planted them out, all but 2 failed to grow!

xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie
xx
Onion question

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 23:24
by Salmo
xx
Another onion question....sorry!

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 13:47
by JohnB47
xx
onion set question

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2007, 15:43
by WG.

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 38 queries.