Growing beefsteak tomatoes in pots

• 6 Replies

missmoneypenny

Growing beefsteak tomatoes in pots
« on: May 20, 2022, 10:33 »
Due to a late start and also to try and protect against blight I’ve decided to grow some tomatoes in pots in my back yard. It gets a good amount of sun. I already do that with cherry tomatoes, but will give costoluto Florentino a go as well. I’m going to try and get as big a pot as possible. I also have some good quality horse manure but other than that is there anything I should do? Thanks for any tips!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing beefsteak tomatoes in pots
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 11:16 »
I grow beefsteak tomatoes at home in builders buckets with a few drainage holes drilled in the base.

My mix is usually some re-used compost and fresh multi-purpose, with a handful of chicken manure pellets for good measure. This years old compost was from bulb pots I emptied (John Innes/MP mix).  Some loam based compost helps a lot when it comes to reducing the danger of them drying out.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 12:37 »
Exactly the same as News!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 12:48 »
If your chicken manure pellets came from egg- laying hens (or they report a good Calcium content) you are good to go with New Shoot's advice.  If in doubt, toss a small handful of gypsum (or plaster of Paris) into your soil mix for each bucket.

Monitor your soil moisture, you want to keep the soil evenly moist.

You should get good slicing tomatoes. They may be smaller than ones grown in the ground.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

lettice

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 15:09 »
I've for many years grown my Marmande large tomatoes in 9 inch diameter pots (1 plant per pot) with about 6 inches deep of compost that was a mix of Verve multi purpose compost and my homemade bin compost.

That area got good sun and I kept them watered well with a weekly tomarite feed and a fortnightly top up of my homemade seaweed feed during flowering and tomato growth.
I have though this year made a permanent raised bed for them, so hope they grow as big and as well as they have done in the previous years pots.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 17:24 »
Thanks everyone it’s good to get your tips. I like the idea of the builder’s bucket with holes drilled in ! The blight was so horrendous last year I’m hoping this might be an insurance policy, as there’s bound to be fewer spores floating around at the back of my flat. I haven’t ever used chicken manure pellets but I might try that. I have the horsey stuff though. Lettice I think you win the prize for most homemade growing substrate!

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 18:14 »
I'm growing San Marzano again, and while they're not a beefsteak, they get pretty big by the end of the season.

I put two plants in a 10" pot, in a water tray, (so it's eight plants per tray), and while they may look crowded, the yield is pretty good for the outlay - and of course the space! They also tend to slow their ripening as the leaves do hide quite a lot of the plant at the rear of the pot, so the season goes on a little longer, which is great for an Autumn crop!

Feeding and watering is a 'must' though!

xx
Beefsteak Tomatoes

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 15:31
by AndyRVTR
xx
Beefsteak Tomatoes

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 31, 2021, 10:35
by Subversive_plot
xx
Best tasting Beefsteak tomatoes

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 11:33
by LilacSandy
xx
Growing out door beefsteak

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2018, 09:04
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 38 queries.