New Topsoil - Do I need to enrich it?

• 2 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
New Topsoil - Do I need to enrich it?
« on: May 01, 2022, 12:27 »
I've just had two raised beds made, which have now been filled with new topsoil.  However, I'm presuming it will be sterile and therefore need enriching?  Obviously I will add compost when planting out my veg, etc., but do I need to do anything to the soil before that happens?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New Topsoil - Do I need to enrich it?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 12:37 »
Firstly, check whether it is proper top soil, without any sub soil added.  Sub-soil can often be a different colour, e.g. more yellowish and clay like.

Then, look at what type of soil you've got. Is it loam, clay, or more sandy? You can see what it's likely to be by gathering a clump in your hand and squeezing it together - does it stay in a big clay lump, or something else?

Also, put a small amount into a glass - does any organic matter float to the top? After it's settled, are there layers of types of content?

And do a pH test to see if it's more acidic (under ph7) or alkaline.  Plants and veggies like it to be about pH 6 - 7.5 or 8.

Once you've got that extra information, you can decide on what might need to be added to the beds.  Depending on what you want to grow, there will be different options. e.g. you wouldn't add manure if growing carrots or parsnips, or you wouldn't add lime if growing potatoes.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Re: New Topsoil - Do I need to enrich it?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 17:36 »
Wow, thanks Yorkie!  I'll do all of the above.  It was purchased from a reputable supplier, and looks fairly fine (i.e. no large clumps.)  It's been so dry lately that I doubt any soil would clump together no matter how hard I squeezed!  However, I shall give your instructions a go  :)

xx
topsoil

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 12, 2007, 20:26
by shaun
xx
To add topsoil or not?

Started by Larissa68 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2021, 07:26
by hasbeans
xx
Topsoil

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 12:26
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
New Topsoil

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 13:03
by amandaandherveg

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 31 queries.